SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Senior Jorge Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) took home a singles title on Sunday afternoon, highlighting an impressive opening weekend for the Bryant University men's tennis team.
COACH GENDRON'S THOUGHTS
"Our opening weekend was full of promise. We saw Matt Kuhar play a competitive match against the No. 3 player in the country. We were able to get great experience for two of our freshmen at singles and doubles at the Ivy Plus and collected a handful of quality wins. We also saw the emergence of the starting doubles team of the Ortiz-Garcia brothers. The two also shined in singles, with the older Jorge going undefeated on the weekend. The only thing left to say is vamos perros!"
HOW IT HAPPENED (DOUBLES)
- The duo of Jorge Ortiz-Garcia and his younger brother Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) capped their impressive weekend with an 8-1 win over the team of Lam/Mitak from Brown.
- Bryant's freshmen duo of Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.) and Trent Massam (Wellington, New Zealand) closed their weekend with a tough loss to Dartmouth's Haig/Speicher, 8-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED (SINGLES)
- Jorge Ortiz-Garcia completed an undefeated weekend with a convincing victory over Gonzalez from Harvard, winning in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1.
- Pertile also competed in a main draw final but was defeated by Brown's van Eck, 7-6 (3), 6-1.
- Massam closed his first weekend of collegiate competition with a 6-1, 6-4 loss to Brown's Collier.
The Bulldogs return to the courts this weekend when they compete at the Brown Invitational in Providence. The invitational begins on Friday, Sept. 29 and runs through Sunday.