SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team returns to the courts this weekend when it travels to Princeton, New Jersey, to compete in the Farnsworth Invitational from Friday through Sunday.
Event: Farnsworth Invitational
Location: Princeton, N.J.
Coach Gendron's Comments
"This weekend we are looking to get Art [Jakubowski] back on the court and see how Phil [Belmatch] competes outside of practice," Bryant men's tennis head coach Ron Gendron said. "It will be the first match for the freshman Belmatch and the return of one of our top guys in Jakubowski. [Geno] Argentini and [Luke] Lorenz will also be looking to do more of what they started last weekend at Brown. These early fall tournaments help establish the tone for competing in the Spring. It's vital we go out and perform early in the season."
About the Farnsworth Invitational
- It is named in honor of the late Princeton tennis alumnus, All-America honoree, and Navy lieutenant Ted Farnsworth '84.
- It will feature players from 14 different schools and will feature four 32-player singles draws and two 32-team doubles draws.
- Bryant will be joined by Columbia, Drexel, Fairleigh Dickinson, Hofstra, Lehigh, Marist, Middlebury, Monmouth, NJIT, Princeton, St. John's, Temple and defending national team champion Virginia.
- Play will begin each day at 8:00 a.m., with each day featuring two rounds of singles and one round of doubles. Sunday will have two rounds of doubles and one round of singles.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- The Bulldogs will be sending sophomore Guido Argentini (Boca Raton, Fla.), freshman Philip Belmatch (Staten Island, N.Y.), junior Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) and senior Luke Lorenz (Colorado Springs, Colo.).
- Argentini went 1-1 in singles and 1-1 in doubles play last weekend at the Brown Invitational.
- Lorenz posted a 2-1 record in singles and a 2-1 mark in doubles in the same event.
- Belmatch will be making his collegiate debut, while Jakubowski will be competing for the first time this season.