SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Freshman Philip Belmatch (Staten Island, N.Y.) won his first two collegiate matches to highlight a strong first day for the Bryant University men's tennis team at the Farnsworth Invitational on Friday.
COACH GENDRON'S THOUGHTS
"Today was a solid day. Overall we went 7-3 with Belmatch perfect on the day with two singles victories and a thrilling doubles win."
HOW IT HAPPENED (DOUBLES)
- Belmatch and senior Luke Lorenz (Colorado Springs, Colo.) opened things with an 8-3 victory over Ognjen Trejgut and Andrei Crapcenco from St. John's.
- Junior Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) and sophomore Guido Argentini (Boca Raton, Fla.) fell, 8-6, to the Monmouth doubles team of Max Benaim and Alberto Giuffrida.
HOW IT HAPPENED (SINGLES)
- Belmatch opened his collegiate singles career with two victories in the 'D' flight on Friday. He defeated FDU's Billy Bourne, 6-3, 6-1, in the round of 32 before defeating Michael Haelen from Temple, 4-6, 7-5, 10-7.
- Jakubowski also earned a win in the round of 32, beating Hofstra's Coco Haener, 4-6, 6-2, 11-9, in the 'B' flight. Jakubowski then lost a thrilling three-set match to NJIT's Lukas Zvikas, 6-2, 6-7 (4-7), 10-5.
- Playing the 'A' draw, Argentini fell in the round of 32, 6-2, 6-1, to NJIT's Jan Cimrman. He rebounded to earn a 5-7, 6-3, 10-5 victory over Middlebury's Noah Farrell in the consolation round.
- Lorenz took Trejgut to three sets in the 'C' flight but fell, 6-2, 2-6, 10-7. He went on to defeat NJIT's Pablo Arrutia, 6-1, 6-2, in the consolation round.
The Bulldogs continue play in the Farnsworth Invitational beginning at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday.