SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Freshman Philip Belmatch (Staten Island, N.Y.) and senior Luke Lorenz (Colorado Springs, Colo.) highlighted the second day of the Farnsworth Invitational for the Bryant University men's tennis team.
COACH GENDRON'S THOUGHTS
"It was another good day. The boys went 6-2 with Phil and Luke winning two doubles matches vs. Columbia and NJIT to advance to the main draw final. Luke had two solid singes wins vs Temple and FDU to earn a final in the back draw. Phil continued his roll to main draw finals with a singles win against Lehigh. Art and Guido also battled through multiple third set matches with Art coming out on top vs Princeton and Guido dropping a tight one vs Middlebury. It was a grind and we are excited to battle tomorrow."
HOW IT HAPPENED (DOUBLES)
- Belmatch and Lorenz advanced to the main draw final in the 'B' flight with wins over Jason Lui and Taiya Hamanaka from Columbia and Zach Castagna and Jan Cimrman from NJIT. They disposed of the Columbia duo, 8-7, before earning an 8-5 win over the NJIT tandem.
- Junior Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) and sophomore Guido Argentini (Boca Raton, Fla.) fell, 8-7, to the FDU tandem of Moric Budinszky and Billy Bourne.
HOW IT HAPPENED (SINGLES)
- Belmatch continued his impressive start with a three-set victory over Lehigh's Bryant Born. He dropped the first set, 6-0, before dominating the final two sets, 6-1 and 10-3. Belmatch will now play in the main draw final against Federico Ruiz Acevedo from St. John's.
- Playing the 'A' draw, Argentini fell in the consolation rounds to Middlebury's Kyle Schlanger, 6-4, 2-6, 10-2.
- Lorenz battled his way through the consolation bracket to play in the final of the back draw. He defeated Temple's Eric Biscoveanu, 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 10-5, before knocking off FDU's Andris Gudins, 6-4, 7-6 (11-9).
The Bulldogs wrap up play in the Farnsworth Invitational beginning at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday.