SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Redshirt junior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) beat one of the top players in the country and junior Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) posted a pair of victories as the Bryant University men's tennis team opened the spring portion of its season on Friday.
Kuhar defeated Cal's Billy Griffith, who entered the fall of 2017 as the No. 49 ranked player in the country, in straight sets. Jakubowski helped the Bulldogs pick up two points against the Golden Hurricane, winning at No. 4 singles and No. 3 doubles. The Bulldogs were defeated by No. 19 Cal (6-1) and Tulsa (4-2).
Bryant 1, No. 19 California 6
Bryant 2, Tulsa 4
Records: Bryant (0-2), California (1-0), Tulsa (1-0)
Location: Michael D. Case Tennis Center (Tulsa, Okla.)
COACH GENDRON'S COMMENTS
"It was a solid way to start our season. We competed against a top program in Cal and pushed Tulsa. Our fitness could use some work and we need to maintain focus at a high level for a full match. But, with that being said, we are light years ahead of where we were last year at this time."
HOW IT HAPPENED (CAL) (Doubles)
- No. 1 – Kuhar and senior Luke Lorenz (Colorado Springs, Colo.) faced the No. 52 ranked doubles team in the country, falling to Griffith and J.T. Nishimura, 7-5.
- No. 2 – Brothers Jorge Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) and Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) were defeated by Cal's Ben Draper and Jack Molloy, 6-1.
- No. 3 – Dominic and Paul Barretto defeated the freshmen duo of Philip Belmatch (Staten Island, N.Y.) and Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.), 6-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED (CAL) (Singles)
- No. 1 – Kuhar picked up a signature win early in the season, defeating Griffith, 7-5, 6-4.
- No. 2 – Lorenz put up a fight against Nishimura, falling 6-0, 7-6 (5).
- No. 3 – Jack Molloy earned a straight-set victory over freshman Wilson Dong (Bradenton, Fla.), 6-0, 7-6 (4).
- No. 4 – The younger Ortiz-Garcia was defeated by Paul Barretto, 6-0, 6-2.
- No. 5 – Junior Scott Plutt (Weston, Fla.) battled in both sets against Draper but fell, 6-4, 6-2.
- No. 6 – Belmatch was defeated by Dominic Barretto, 6-4, 6-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED (TULSA) (Doubles)
- No. 1 – Kuhar and Lorenz battled Tulsa's top doubles team of Majed Kilani and Jarod Hing but eventually fell, 6-4.
- No. 2 – The Ortiz-Garcia brothers tied things up with an impressive 6-3 win over Tulsa's Louis Corker and Joshua Goodger.
- No. 3 – Jakubowski and Pertile clinched the doubles point for the Bulldogs with a thrilling victory over Mitchell Pritchard and Lucca Baptista. The duo trailed during the set but battled back to earn a 7-5 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED (TULSA) (Singles)
- No. 1 – Dong was moved into the No. 1 spot prior to the match and battled the No. 56 ranked player in the country in Kilani. Dong had the first set tied at 5-all before falling 7-5. Kilani claimed the second set, 6-0.
- No. 2 – Ranked No. 82 in the country, Goodger earned a straight-sets victory over Lorenz, 6-1, 6-4.
- No. 3 – Hing earned the Hurricane another point with a three-set victory over Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia. Ortiz-Garcia took the first set 6-4, but Hing won each of the final two sets, 6-1.
- No. 4 – Jakubowski put the finishing touches on his solid opening day by defeating Corker, 6-4, 6-3.
- No. 5 – Andrew Quiros (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) was defeated by Baptista, 6-2, 6-0.
- No. 6 – Plutt and Tulsa's Boriss Kamdem went unfinished. In what was a back-and-forth battle, Kamdem won the first set 7-5 and had a 6-5 lead in the second set.
- No. 52 Griffith/Nishimura (Cal) def. Kuhar/Lorenz (BRY), 7-5
- Draper/Molloy (Cal) def. Ortiz-Garcia/Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 6-1
- Barretto/Barretto (Cal) def. Belmatch/Pertile (BRY), 6-2
- Kuhar (BRY) def. Griffith (Cal), 7-5, 6-4
- Nishimura (Cal) def. Lorenz (BRY), 6-0, 7-6 (5)
- Molloy (Cal) def. Dong (BRY), 6-0, 7-6 (4)
- Barretto (Cal) def. Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 6-0, 6-2
- Draper (Cal) def. Plutt (BRY), 6-4, 6-2
- Dom Barretto (Cal) def. Belmatch (BRY), 6-4, 6-2
- Kilani/Hing (TULSA) def. Kuhar/Lorenz (BRY), 6-4
- Ortiz-Garcia/Ortiz-Garcia (BRY) def. Corker/Goodger (TULSA), 6-3
- Jakubowski/Pertile (BRY) def. Pritchard/Baptista (TULSA), 7-5
- No. 56 Kilani (TULSA) def. Dong (BRY), 7-5, 6-0
- No. 82 Goodger (TULSA) def. Lorenz (BRY), 6-1, 6-4
- Hing (TULSA) def. Isaias Ortiz-Garcia, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
- Jakubowski (BRY) def. Corker (TULSA), 6-4, 6-3
- Baptista (TULSA) def. Quiros (BRY), 6-2, 6-0
- Kamdem (TULSA) vs. Plutt (BRY) unfinished, 7-5, 6-5
The Bulldogs continue their opening weekend tour of Oklahoma with two matches in Norman on Saturday. They will face Creighton at 9:30 a.m. and then play the Sooners at 12:00 p.m.