SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team enjoyed another solid day of play, earning a 3-2 victory over Creighton before falling to No. 18 Oklahoma, 5-0, on Saturday in Norman.
Bryant 3, Creighton 2
Bryant 0, No. 18 Oklahoma 5
Records: Bryant (1-3), Creighton (0-1), Oklahoma (1-0)
Location: Headington Family Tennis Center (Norman, Okla.)
COACH GENDRON'S COMMENTS
"Today was another solid outing. We snuck out a win in an altered format against a gritty Creighton team. Then we fought against a very strong Oklahoma team. Playing four matches in two days creates physical and mental stress and I can't wait to see how we handle it on day three."
HOW IT HAPPENED (CREIGHTON) (Doubles)
- No. 1 – Redshirt junior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) teamed up with junior Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) to earn a thrilling come-from-behind victory over Alex Koca and Mac Mease. After dropping the first set, 7-6 (7-4), Bryant's duo won 7-5 and then won the tiebreak, 10-4.
- No. 2 – Creighton's Armando Gandini and Oscar Diaz defeated Bryant's Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) and Wilson Dong (Bradenton, Fla.), 7-5, 6-3 to claim the Bluejays' first point.
- No. 3 – Freshman Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.) and senior Luke Lorenz (Colorado Springs, Colo.) earned Bryant another point with a 6-2, 7-6 (7-5) victory over Michael Koch and Daniel Lopez-Rey.
HOW IT HAPPENED (CREIGHTON) (Singles)
- No. 1 – After dropping the first set, 6-3, sophomore Guido Argentini (Boca Raton, Fla.) battled back to win the deciding point. He defeated Stratton Brown 6-3 in the second set and then won the point with a 10-8 victory in the third set tiebreaker. The victory gave Bryant the win over Creighton.
- No. 2 – Nick Lamart (Raleigh, N.C.) was defeated by Creighton's Brooks Kendall, 6-3, 6-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED (OKLAHOMA) (Doubles)
- No. 1 – Kuhar and Jakubowski gave the nation's 43rd-ranked doubles team all it could handle on Saturday. The duo came back to grab a 3-2 lead before the match was left unfinished.
- No. 2 – Ferran Calvo and Jake van Emburgh defeated Lorenz and Pertile, 6-1.
- No. 3 – James Davis and Alex Bakshi earned Oklahoma the doubles point with a 6-0 win over Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia and Andrew Quiros (Pembroke Pines, Fla.).
HOW IT HAPPENED (OKLAHOMA) (Singles)
- No. 1 – Kuhar was impressive yet again, winning a tiebreak in the first set against Calvo before the match went unfinished. Kuhar was down early but rallied back to force the tiebreak before winning it, 7-3. Calvo went 22-4 in the fall for Oklahoma.
- No. 2 – Lorenz also had his match go unfinished. He dropped his first set to Bakshi but was tied 3-3 in the second.
- No. 3 – Adrian Oetzbach earned a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Dong.
- No. 4 – van Emburgh defeated Philip Belmatch (Staten Island, N.Y.), 6-0, 6-1.
- No. 5 – Bertsch earned a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Scott Plutt (Weston, Fla.).
- No. 6 – Davis clinched the match for Oklahoma with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Pertile.
- Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY) def. Koca/Mease (CU), 6-7 (4-7), 7-5, 1-0 (10-4)
- Gandini/Diaz (CU) def. Isaias Ortiz-Garcia/Dong (BRY), 7-5, 6-3
- Pertile/Lorenz (BRY) def. Koch/Lopez-Rey (CU), 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
- Argentini (BRY) def. Brown (CU), 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
- Kendall (CU) def. Lamart (BRY), 6-3, 6-2
- Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY) vs. No. 43 Bertsch/Oetzbach (OU), 3-2, unfinished
- Calvo/van Emburgh (OU) def. Lorenz/Pertile, 6-1
- Davis/Bakshi (OU) def. Isaias Ortiz-Garcia/Quiros (BRY), 6-0
- Kuhar (BRY) vs. Calvo (OU), 7-6 (7-3), unfinished
- Bakshi (OU) vs. Lorenz (BRY), 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
- Oetzbach (OU) def. Dong (BRY), 6-2, 6-1
- van Emburgh (OU) def. Belmatch (BRY), 6-0, 6-1
- Bertsch (OU) def. Plutt (BRY), 6-0, 6-2
- Davis (OU) def. Pertile (BRY), 6-2, 6-2
The Bulldogs wrap up their weekend in Oklahoma on Sunday when they face Lamar and No. 15 Oklahoma State in Stillwater. The matches are scheduled for 10:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m.