SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team wrapped up its weekend in Oklahoma on Sunday, defeating Lamar, 5-2, before falling to No. 15 Oklahoma St., 7-0, in Stillwater.
The Bulldogs finished their six-game opening weekend with a 2-4 record. Bryant faced three nationally-ranked opponents.
Bryant 5, Lamar 2
Bryant 0, No. 15 Oklahoma St. 7
Records: Bryant (2-4), Lamar (0-1), Oklahoma St. (2-0)
Location: Greenwood Tennis Center (Stillwater, Okla.)
COACH GENDRON'S COMMENTS
"Today was a great way to cap off the weekend that had a lot of promise. We showed our resiliency and grit and it allowed us to come away with two wins and three quality performances against very good tennis programs. We are looking forward to our next challenge of playing Brown. It has always been a very difficult match for us but one we look forward to every year."
HOW IT HAPPENED (LAMAR) (Doubles)
- No. 1 – Redshirt junior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) teamed up with junior Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) to make quick work of Lamar's Nicolas Mayr and Benny Schweizer, 6-3.
- No. 2 – Brothers Jorge Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) and Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) were tied 4-4 with Sebastian Santibanez and Arthur Serafim before the match was left unfinished.
- No. 3 – Freshman Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.) and senior Luke Lorenz (Colorado Springs, Colo.) clinched the doubles point with a 6-2 win.
HOW IT HAPPENED (LAMAR) (Singles)
- No. 1 – Kuhar eased past Schweizer, 6-2, 6-2.
- No. 2 – Lorenz had to battle back in the first set, eventually winning a tiebreak, 7-6 (7-5). He earned a point with a 6-2 victory in the second set.
- No. 3 – Freshman Wilson Dong (Bradenton, Fla.) picked up his collegiate dual win with a thrilling three-set victory over Nicolas Mayr, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
- No. 4 – Jakubowski made quick work at the No. 4 spot, earning a straight-set victory, 6-3, 6-1.
- No. 5 – Sophomore Guido Argentini (Boca Raton, Fla.) forced a third set with a 7-6 (7-5) victory but dropped a third-set tiebreaker, 10-5.
- No. 6 – Isaias Ortiz-Garcia also forced a third set but fell 6-1 in the third.
HOW IT HAPPENED (OKLAHOMA ST.) (Doubles)
- No. 1 – Kuhar and Jakubowski were defeated by Julian Cash and Luke Hammond, 6-3.
- No. 2 – Lorenz and Pertile trailed early but battled back to tie it at 4-4 before the match went unfinished.
- No. 3 – Dong and redshirt senior Nick Lamart (Raleigh, N.C.) lost 6-0 to Jurence Mendoza and Brady Draheim.
HOW IT HAPPENED (OKLAHOMA ST.) (Singles)
- No. 1 – Kuhar made things interesting against All-American Julian Cash. After a hard-fought 6-4 loss in the first set, Kuhar rallied from 5-4 down to take a 6-5 lead in the second. Cash, however, forced a tiebreak and then won it, 7-2, to claim the match.
- No. 2 – Jakubowski also made things interesting, falling 6-4 in the first set before grabbing a brief lead in the second. He eventually fell, 6-2.
- No. 3 – Isaias Ortiz-Garcia faced the No. 93 ranked player in the country, Mathieu Scaglia. He lost in straight sets, 6-3, 6-0.
- No. 4 – Junior Scott Plutt (Weston, Fla.) also fell in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1.
- No. 5 – Freshman Philip Belmatch (Staten Island, N.Y.) was defeated by Hammond, 6-0, 6-0.
- No. 6 – Pertile dropped his first set 6-1 before falling 6-3 in the second set.
- Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY) def. Mayr/Schweizer (LU), 6-3
- Ortiz-Garcia/Ortiz-Garcia (BRY) vs. Santibanez/Serafim (LU), 4-4, unfinished
- Pertile/Lorenz (BRY) def. Paton Canal/Stepanov (LU), 6-2
- Kuhar (BRY) def. Schweizer (LU), 6-2, 6-2
- Lorenz (BRY) def. Santibanez (LU), 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
- Dong (BRY) def. Mayr (LU), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
- Jakubowski (BRY) def. Serafim (LU), 6-3, 6-1
- Paton Canal (LU) def. Argentini (BRY), 6-3, 6-7 (5-7), 1-0 (10-5)
- Stepanov (LU) def. Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 7-5, 2-6, 6-1
RESULTS (OKLAHOMA ST.)
- Cash/Hammond (OSU) def. Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY), 6-3
- Lorenz/Pertile (BRY) vs. Dubinski/Theodorou (OSU), 4-4, unfinished
- Mendoza/Draheim (OSU) def. Dong/Lamart (BRY), 6-0
- Cash (OSU) def. Kuhar (BRY), 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
- Dubinski (OSU) def. Jakubowski (BRY), 6-4, 6-2
- No. 93 Scaglia (OSU) def. Isaias Oritz-Garcia (BRY), 6-3, 6-0
- Mendoza (OSU) def. Plutt (BRY), 6-0, 6-1
- Hammond (OSU) def. Belmatch (BRY), 6-0, 6-0
- Theodorou (OSU) def. Pertile (BRY), 6-1, 6-3
The Bulldogs return to the Ocean State next weekend when they face Brown on Saturday, Jan. 20 in Providence. The match is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m.