SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team battled on Saturday before eventually falling to Brown, 5-2, in Providence.
The Bulldogs earned their first points against the Bears for the first time in nearly four years on Saturday.
Bryant 2, Brown 5
Records: Bryant (2-5), Brown (1-0)
Location: Brown Indoor Tennis Courts (Providence, R.I.)
COACH GENDRON'S COMMENTS
"It's always disappointing to lose. And I am disappointed. After that gets put aside, the effort and behavior for both teams was a 10. It was a very exciting match and we represented our University well. It is time to prepare for the next match."
HOW IT HAPPENED (Doubles)
- No. 1 – Redshirt junior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) teamed up with junior Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) to secure the doubles point for the Black and Gold, winning 7-6 (3).
- No. 2 – Aaron Sandberg and Ching Lam evened things with a 6-2 victory over Jorge Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) and Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico).
- No. 3 – Freshman Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.) and senior Luke Lorenz (Colorado Springs, Colo.) gave Bryant an early edge in the doubles portion with a 6-4 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Singles)
- No. 1 – Kuhar brought the Bulldogs within 3-2 with a three-set victory over Jacob Walker. He lost the first set, 6-3, but rebounded to win 7-5 and 6-1.
- No. 2 – Jack Haworth made it 3-1 Brown with a three-set victory over Lorenz. Lorenz won the first set, 6-3, but Haworth battled back to win the final two, 7-5 and 6-3.
- No. 3 – Lam earned a victory at No. 3 over Jakubowski, 7-5, 6-1.
- No. 4 – Peter Tarwid got Brown on the board in singles with a convincing 6-1, 6-2 victory.
- No. 5 – Peter Litsky helped Brown put the match away with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Oritz-Garcia.
- No. 6 – Charles Tan closed the match by winning a tiebreak over freshman Trent Massam (Wellington, New Zealand). Massam won the first set, 7-5, before Tan evened it with a 6-1 win. Tan then won the tiebreak, 1-0 (5).
- Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY) def. Haworth/Tarwid (BROWN), 7-6 (3)
- Sandberg/Lam (BROWN) def. Ortiz-Garcia/Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 6-2
- Lorenz/Pertile (BRY) def. Walker/Litsky (BROWN), 6-4
- Kuhar (BRY) def. Walker (BROWN), 3-6, 7-5, 6-1
- Haworth (BROWN) def. Lorenz (BRY), 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
- Lam (BROWN) def. Jakubowski (BRY), 7-5, 6-1
- Tarwid (BROWN) def. Argentini (BRY), 6-1, 6-2
- Litsky (BROWN) def. Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 6-0, 6-2
- Tan (BROWN) def. Massam (BRY), 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (5)
The Bulldogs return to the courts next weekend when they travel to Cambridge, Massachusetts, to face Harvard. The match is scheduled to begin at 5:00 p.m.