SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Classmates Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) and Artur Jakubowsk (Dallas, Texas) both picked up victories but the Bryant University men's tennis team fell to Harvard, 5-2, on Sunday night.
Bryant 2, Harvard 5
Records: Bryant (2-6), Harvard (5-0)
Location: Murr Center (Cambridge, Mass.)
COACH GENDRON'S COMMENTS
"Today was another well fought match. It would be easy to say this is who we are and be happy. The simple truth, however, is that I believe we can raise our level and compete with better focus and higher levels of consistency. Our conditioning will need to improve as we get into the southern swing of our schedule. Navy should be a fun trip and a solid test."
HOW IT HAPPENED (Doubles)
- No. 1 – Kuhar and Jakubowski teamed up to win at No. 1 doubles. They defeated Harvard's Logan Weber and Andy Zhou, 6-4.
- No. 2 – Grant Solomon and Christopher Morrow defeated freshman Trent Massam (Wellington, New Zealand) and sophomore Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico), 6-4.
- No. 3 – Michael Peters and Constantin Zoske posted a 6-4 victory over senior Luke Lorenz (Colorado Springs, Colo.) and freshman Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.).
HOW IT HAPPENED (Singles)
- No. 1 – Kuhar continued his impressive start to the season with a three-set victory over Zhou. He lost the first set 6-2, but rebounded to win the second, 6-3. Kuhar then won the tiebreak, 10-7.
- No. 2 – Robert Wizesinski picked up a 6-1, 6-3 victory over freshman Wilson Dong (Bradenton, Fla.).
- No. 3 – Lorenz put up a fight against Solomon but was defeated, 6-4, 6-3.
- No. 4 – Jakubowski won the most thrilling match of the night, as he defeated Zoske in three sets. Zoske won the first set 6-1 before Jakubowski won the second, 7-6 (4). The two then battled it out in the tiebreak, with Jakubowski coming away with a 14-12 victory.
- No. 5 – Weber earned a 6-1, 6-3 victory over sophomore Guido Argentini (Boca Raton, Fla.).
- No. 6 – Galen Lee defeated junior Michael Plutt (Weston, Fla.), 6-2, 6-1.
- Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY) def. Weber/Zhou (HAR), 6-4
- Solomon/Morrow (HAR) def. Massam/Oritz-Garcia (BRY), 6-4
- Peters/Zoske (HAR) def. Lorenz/Pertile (BRY), 6-4
- Kuhar (BRY) def. Zhou (HAR), 2-6, 6-3, 10-7
- Wizesinski (HAR) def. Dong (BRY), 6-1, 6-3
- Solomon (HAR) def. Lorenz (BRY), 6-4, 6-3
- Jakubowski (BRY) def. Zoske (HAR), 1-6, 7-6 (4), 14-12
- Weber (HAR) def. Argentini (BRY), 6-1, 6-3
- Lee (HAR) def. Plutt (BRY), 6-2, 6-1
Bryant travels to Annapolis, Md., this weekend for three matches. The Bulldogs will face Richmond on Saturday before facing Navy and Mount St. Mary's on Sunday.