SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team split a pair of matches on Sunday, falling to Navy, 4-3, before downing Mount St. Mary's, 5-2.
Bryant 3, Navy 4
Bryant 5, Mount St. Mary's 2
Records: Bryant (3-8), Navy (10-2), Mount St. Mary's (0-2)
Location: Tose Family Tennis Center (Annapolis, Md.)
COACH GENDRON'S COMMENTS
"This was another grueling weekend. We let a few chances get away from us to get two quality wins but ultimately were outplayed. In the final match of the weekend, Mount came out fresh and energized to take the doubles point. Avoiding the upset, we played with a very workmanlike mentality and took care of singles. It was good to end the weekend with a conference win and we'll be back to work on Monday."
HOW IT HAPPENED (NAVY) (DOUBLES)
- No. 1 – Andrew Ton and Aries Wong were able to defeat the junior tandem of Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) and Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas), 6-2.
- No. 2 – Greg Durham and Peter Lohrbach clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 victory over Trent Massam (Wellington, New Zealand) and Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico), 6-3.
- No. 3 – Luke Lorenz (Colorado Springs, Colo.) and Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.) put the Bulldogs on top early with a 6-1 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED (NAVY) (SINGLES)
- No. 1 – Kuhar earned a thrilling three-set victory over Ton, 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-4).
- No. 2 – Wong earned a straight-set victory over Lorenz, 6-2, 7-5.
- No. 3 – Wilson Dong (Bradenton, Fla.) lost his first set but rallied for a three-set victory. He won the second set, 6-3, before winning the tiebreak, 11-9.
- No. 4 – Jakubowski had similar excitement in his match as he rallied from a 6-3 first-set loss to win in three sets. He won the second set in a tiebreak, 7-6 (7-4) and then clinched with a 10-7 win.
- No. 5 – Gabriel Pilones defeated Michael Plutt (Weston, Fla.), 6-2, 6-3.
- No. 6 – Romesh Kahatapitiya outlasted Massam in three sets. Massam won the first set, 6-0, but Kahatapitiya won 6-4 and 6-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED (MOUNT) (DOUBLES)
- No. 1 - Kuhar and Jakubowski dropped their second match of the day as Brandon Wortkotter and Jackson Wood earned a 6-1 victory.
- No. 2 - Lorenz and Pertile made it a perfect day with a 7-5 victory over Jean Armstrong and Gabriel Santos.
- No. 3 - Parth Sharma and Evan Hine were able to earn a 6-4 victory over Plutt and Nick Lamart (Raleigh, N.C.).
HOW IT HAPPENED (MOUNT) (SINGLES)
- No. 1 - Kuhar finished off an undefeated weekend with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Wortkotter.
- No. 2 - Lorenz made quick work of Wood, winning in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2.
- No. 3 - Dong and Sharma locked in a thriller at No. 3, with Sharma coming out on top, 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7).
- No. 4 - Plutt earned a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Armstrong.
- No. 5 - Guido Argentini (Boca Raton, Fla.) picked up the win at No. 5, easing past Santos, 6-0, 6-2.
- No. 6 - Isaias Ortiz-Garcia capped off a strong singles showing with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Chris Lindsey.
- Ton/Wong (NAVY) def. Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY), 6-2
- Durham/Lohrbach (NAVY) def. Massam/Isaias Oritz-Garcia (BRY), 6-3
- Lorenz/Pertile (BRY) def. Jennings/Majkic (NAVY), 6-1
- Kuhar (BRY) def. Ton (NAVY), 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-4)
- Wong (NAVY) def. Lorenz (BRY), 6-2, 7-5
- Dong (BRY) def. Durham (NAVY), 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 1-0 (11-9)
- Jakubowski (BRY) def. Sims (NAVY), 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-7)
- Pilones (NAVY) def. Plutt (BRY), 6-2, 6-3
- Kahatapitiya (NAVY) def. Massam (BRY), 0-6, 6-4, 6-1
- Wortkotter/Wood (MSM) def. Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY), 6-1
- Lorenz/Pertile (BRY) def. Armstrong/Santos (MSM), 7-5
- Sharma/Hine (MSM) def. M. Plutt/Lamart (BRY), 6-4
- Kuhar (BRY) def. Wortkotter (MSM), 6-2, 6-0
- Lorenz (BRY) def. Wood (MSM), 6-1, 6-2
- Sharma (MSM) def. Dong (BRY), 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
- M. Plutt (BRY) def. Armstrong (MSM), 6-1, 6-0
- Argentini (BRY) def. Santos (MSM), 6-0, 6-2
- Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (BRY) def. Lindsey (MSM), 6-2, 6-2
The Bulldogs welcome Binghamton on Friday, Feb. 9. Bryant and Binghamton will play at Fore Court starting at 10:00 a.m.