SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team opened its home schedule with a dominant performance on Friday, as it defeated Binghamton, 6-1, at Fore Court.
Bryant has now won each of the last two meetings between the two programs. Prior to last season, the Bearcats had won each of the first four matches.
Bryant 6, Binghamton 1
Records: Bryant (4-8), Binghamton (2-4)
Location: Fore Court (Cumberland, R.I.)
COACH GENDRON'S COMMENTS
"It was nice to get a quality win this morning. We are on to Dartmouth."
HOW IT HAPPENED (Doubles)
- No. 1 – Redshirt junior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) and junior Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) cruised to a 6-1 win over Kushaan Nath and Tiago Lourenco. The Binghamton duo entered the match 3-1 at No. 1 doubles on the year.
- No. 2 – Valentin Bouchet and Sebastian Quiros won an abbreviated match over Jorge Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) and Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico).
- No. 3 – Bryant clinched the doubles point thanks to a 6-2 victory from senior Luke Lorenz (Colorado Springs, Colo.) and freshman Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.).
HOW IT HAPPENED (Singles)
- No. 1 – Kuhar ran his winning streak to six with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Nath.
- No. 2 – Lorenz battled with Lourenco at No. 2, eventually winning in straight-sets, 6-4, 6-4.
- No. 3 – Freshman Wilson Dong (Bradenton, Fla.) dropped the first set, 6-2, and trailed in the second before rallying for a 7-6 victory in the second set. He then closed out a three-set victory with a 6-2 victory.
- No. 4 – Jakubowski won his first set 6-3 but trailed 5-2 in the second before he rallied. He pulled ahead 6-5 but Quiros was able to send the set to a tiebreak. Jakubowski was able to rally again, pulling out a 7-4 win in the tiebreak.
- No. 5 – Jorge Ortiz-Garcia made quick work at No. 5 singles, winning 6-2, 6-2.
- No. 6 – Bouchet earned Binghamton's only point of the match with a 6-3, 6-2 victory.
- Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY) def. Nath/Lourenco (BING), 6-1
- Bouchet/Quiros (BING) def. Ortiz-Garcia/Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 6-5
- Lorenz/Pertile (BRY) def. Cestarollo/Saez (BING), 6-2
- Kuhar (BRY) def. Nath (BING), 6-0, 6-1
- Lorenz (BRY) def. Lourenco (BING), 6-4, 6-4
- Dong (BRY) def. Saez (BING), 2-6, 7-6, 6-2
- Jakubowski (BRY) def. Quiros (BING), 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
- Oritz-Garcia (BRY) def. Pena (BING), 6-2, 6-2
- Bouchet (BING) def. Argentini (BRY), 6-3, 6-2
The Bulldogs will head to Hanover, New Hampshire, on Sunday to face Dartmouth. The match is scheduled to begin at 3:00 p.m.