SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team won a set and led in two others before ultimately falling to Dartmouth, 4-0, on Sunday afternoon in Hanover.
Bryant 0, Dartmouth 4
Records: Bryant (4-9), Dartmouth (9-0)
Location: Boss Tennis Center/Gordon Pavilion (Hanover, N.H.)
COACH GENDRON'S COMMENTS
"Today's effort was solid. Guys hung around the entire match and took a set at 1 and were up in second sets at 3 and 5. We get back to work on Monday."
HOW IT HAPPENED (Doubles)
- No. 1 – Roko Glasnovic and Casey Ross earned a 6-2 victory over redshirt junior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) and junior Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas).
- No. 2 – Max Fliegner and Peter Conklin were victorious over Jorge Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) and younger brother Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico), 6-3.
- No. 3 – Dan Martin and Ciro Riccardi completed the sweep of doubles with a 6-2 win over senior Luke Lorenz (Colorado Springs, Colo.) and freshman Philip Belmatch (Staten Island, N.Y.).
HOW IT HAPPENED (Singles)
- No. 1 – Kuhar proved, once again, that he is playing top level tennis. After dropping the first set to Martin, 6-1, he rebounded for a 6-4 second-set victory. Martin led 1-0 in the third set before it went unfinished.
- No. 2 – David Horneffer won in straight-sets over Lorenz, 6-0, 6-3.
- No. 3 – Freshman Wilson Dong (Bradenton, Fla.) battled against Riccardi. Dong took Riccardi to the limit in the first set, falling 7-6, before grabbing a 2-1 lead in the second before it went unfinished.
- No. 4 – Conklin won, 6-2, 6-4, over Jakubowski.
- No. 5 – The older Ortiz-Garcia put together another strong performance as he led 5-3 in the second set before the match went unfinished. He had lost the first set, 6-2.
- No. 6 – John Speicher earned a 6-1, 6-2 victory over freshman Trent Massam (Wellington, New Zealand).
- Belmatch was playing for the first time since Jan. 14 when he faced Oklahoma State's Luke Hammond. Hammond is ranked No. 125 in the most recent ITA rankings.
- Kuhar's winning streak remained at six with his match going unfinished. He is 8-1 in the spring, with two matches having gone unfinished.
- Glasnovic/Ross (DART) def. Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY), 6-2
- Fleigner/Conklin (DART) def. Ortiz-Garcia/Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 6-3
- Martin/Riccardi (DART) def. Lorenz/Belmatch (BRY), 6-2
- Kuhar (BRY) vs. Martin (DART), 1-6, 6-4, 0-1 unfinished
- Horneffer (DART) def. Lorenz (BRY), 6-0, 6-3
- Dong (BRY) vs. Riccardi (DART), 6-7, 2-1 unfinished
- Conklin (DART) def. Jakubowski (BRY), 6-2, 6-4
- Ortiz-Garcia (BRY) vs. Ross (DART), 2-6, 5-3 unfinished
- Speicher (DART) def. Massam (BRY), 6-1, 6-2
The Bulldogs head to the tri-state area next weekend for matches against Northeast Conference foe St. Francis Brooklyn and NJIT. Bryant faces SFC on Friday, Feb. 16 at 1:00 p.m., before facing NJIT on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.