SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team won the doubles point but was unable to hold off Buffalo as it fell 5-2 on Sunday afternoon at Fore Court.
Bryant 2, Buffalo 5
Records: Bryant (7-13), Buffalo (6-4)
Location: Fore Court (Cumberland, R.I.)
Coach Gendron's Comments
"Doubles continues to be our strength. If we are going to improve our results, we will need to improve our shot selection and cut down on errors. Matt [Kuhar] is playing brilliant tennis and clearly is as sharp as ever.
How it Happened (Doubles)
- The Bulldogs won all three doubles matches take care of the doubles point. Redshirt junior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) and junior Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) won at No. 1, 6-1, to set the tone.
- Jorge Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) and Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) won at No. 2, 7-6, while Luke Lorenz (Colorado Springs, Colo.) and Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.) won at No. 3, 6-3.
How it Happened (Singles)
- Kuhar won his 14th match of the spring, earning a straight-set victory over Hao Sheng Koay, 6-1, 6-4.
- The Bulls, however, won each of the final five singles matches. Four of the wins came in straight sets, but Jakubowski battled in a three-set loss at No. 3. He won the first set, 6-3, but lost the last two, 6-3, 6-2.
1. Matt Kuhar/Artur Jakubowski (BU) def. Petr Vodak/Vidit Vaghela (UB), 6-1
2. Jorge Ortiz-Garcia/Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (BU) def. Hao Sheng Koay/Ethan Nittolo, 7-6
3. Luke Lorenz/Grant Pertile (BU) def. Matthew Johnson/Villhelm Fridell (UB), 6-3
1. Matt Kuhar (BU) def. Hao Sheng Koay (UB), 6-1, 6-4
2. Ethan Nittolo (UB) def. Luke Lorenz (BU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Petr Vodak (UB) def. Artur Jakubowski (BU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Matthew Johnson (UB) def. Trent Massam (BU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Villhelm Fridell (UB) def. Guido Argentini , 6-3, 6-1
6. Nickolas Frisk (UB) def. Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (BU), 6-4, 6-4