SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team held a 3-2 lead over UNC Wilmington before the Seahawks rallied for a 4-3 victory on Friday morning.
Bryant 3, UNCW 4
Records: Bryant (7-14), UNCW (9-2)
Location: UNCW Courts (Wilmington, N.C.)
Coach Gendron's Comments
"Today was a great match. There was six three-setters, a tiebreaker in doubles and we put together a great effort against a very strong program. I could not be prouder of our effort."
How it happened (Doubles)
- Redshirt junior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) and junior Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) picked up a quick 6-3 win at No. 1 singles.
- UNCW, however, rallied to win at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. The Seahawks won 7-5 at No. 2 and then won a tiebreak at No. 3 to grab the doubles point.
How it happened (Singles)
- The Black and Gold won three of the first four singles matches to build a 3-2 lead. Freshman Trent Massam (Wellington, New Zealand) won at No. 6, 6-1, 1-6, 6-4, and Kuhar evened things with a thrilling three-set victory at No. 1. He lost the first set 6-1 before winning the second, 6-1, and then clinched with a 7-6 (7-4) victory in the third set.
- UNCW rallied, however, winning the final two singles matches in three sets. Michael Copeland tied the match with a come-from-behind victory at No. 4, while Agustin Savarino also rallied after losing the first set. He won the second set in a tiebreak, 7-6 (7-5), and then clinched the match with a 6-3 win.
- Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY) def. Calzi/ de Rueda (UNCW), 6-3
- Morphy/Torres (UNCW) def. Ortiz-Garcia/Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 7-5
- Savarino/Copeland (UNCW) def. Lorenz/Pertile (BRY), 7-6 (7-4)
- Kuhar (BRY) def. Torres (UNCW), 1-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
- Savarino (UNCW) def. Lorenz (BRY), 5-7, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
- de Rueda (UNCW) def. Jakubowski (BRY), 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Copeland (UNCW) def. Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-2
- Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (BRY) def. Morphy (UNCW), 0-6, 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
- Massam (BRY) def. Groom (UNCW), 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
Bryant continues its weekend with a match against UNC Greensboro on Saturday afternoon at 2:00 p.m.