SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Sophomore Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.) and freshman Andrew Pregel (Cincinnati, Ohio) capped an impressive weekend by winning a flight championship on Sunday at the Brown Invitational.
Coach Gendron's Thoughts
"Outstanding effort by Pregel, Schou and Pertile. Our underclassmen competed like Bulldogs!"
How it Happened
- After opening the weekend with victories over Villanova and Marist, Pertile and Pregel closed out their weekend with a victory over Boston College.
- In the doubles match, Pertile and Pregel defeated Markus Norby and Santiago Montufar, 6-4. In singles, Pertile defeated Norby, 6-3, 7-6 and Pregel made it a clean sweep with a 7-5, 6-0 win.
- Seniors Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) and Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) rebounded from a Friday loss to the win the back draw in the top flight. On Sunday, the duo lost the doubles point but swept both singles matches against Tyler Ross and Thomas Dodson from Villanova. Kuhar defeated Roth in three sets, 4-6, 6-2, 11-9, while Jakubowski also won in three sets, 6-2, 3-6, 10-3.
- Sophomore Wilson Dong (Bradenton, Fla.) and freshman Alexander Schou (Halte, Denmark) earned a 2-1 victory over J.P. Avila and Pedro Gutierrez from Boston University. The Bulldogs won the doubles point, 6-1, and Schou earned a hard-fought 7-6 (5), 7-6 (4) victory to clinch it. Dong lost his singles match, 6-3, 6-3.
- Bryant's final two competitors, senior Michael Plutt (Weston, Fla.) and junior Guido Argentini (Boca Raton, Fla.), lost 2-1 to Dylan Flanagan and Charles Schuls from Villanova. Bryant lost the doubles point, 7-6 (4) before Argentini was able to post a 7-6 (4), 7-5 victory. Plutt was defeated, 6-4, 6-3.
Notes and Notables
- In his first weekend of collegiate tennis, Pregel went a perfect 3-0 in singles play.
- Also competing for the first time as a collegiate athlete, Schou went 2-1 on the weekend.
The ITA Northeast Regionals are next on the schedule for the Bulldogs. The ITAs run from Oct. 11-13 in Princeton, New Jersey.