SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Bryant University men's tennis redshirt senior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) is into the third round of the ITA Northeast Regionals for the second-straight season after a straight-set victory on Saturday afternoon in Princeton, N.J.
Coach Gendron's Comments
"I thought today was a solid day. We fought hard in doubles and Matt looked sharp playing a very gritty opponent from Quinnipiac. We are looking forward to Sunday's match."
How it Happened
- After receiving an opening-round bye, Kuhar faced Quinnipiac's Alester Magalit. Kuhar earned a decisive victory over Magalit, 6-3, 6-3 to advance to the round of 32 on Sunday.
- Kuhar will now face Damian Rodriguez from Princeton.
Other ITA performances
- Fellow senior Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) lost a three-set battle in the first round to Harvard's Galen Lee, 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2.
- Classmate Michael Plutt (Weston, Fla.) lost in the qualifying rounds to FDU's Niclas Pietsch, 7-6 (9), 7-5.
- Junior Guido Argentini (Boca Raton, Fla.) also fell in the qualifying stage, 6-1, 7-5.
- In doubles, Kuhar and Jakubowski advanced to the second round with an 8-3 victory over Fordham but lost to Brown in the next match.
- Plutt and Argentini also advanced to the second round, earning an 8-5 victory over Brown before falling to Penn, 8-5.
Kuhar is scheduled to play at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday against Princeton's Damian Rodriguez.