SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's tennis team swept the doubles point but ultimately fell, 5-2, to Brown on Tuesday afternoon.
Bryant 2, Brown 5
Records: Bryant (1-4), Brown (3-0)
Location: Providence, R.I.
How it Happened (Doubles)
- Bryant swept the three doubles matches for the first time ever against Brown.
- At No. 1, senior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) and sophomore Wilson Dong (Bradenton, Fla.) clinched the doubles point, 7-5.
- Junior Guido Argentini (Boca Raton, Fla.) and sophomore Trent Massam (Wellington, New Zealand) rallied for a 6-4 victory.
- At No. 3, sophomore Grant Pertile (Edgartown, Mass.) and junior Jorge Isaias Ortiz-Garcia (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) completed the clean sweep with scintillating tie-break victory. The duo forced the tiebreak and then won an epic battle, 18-16.
How it Happened (Singles)
- Kuhar picked up Bryant's second point with a straight-set victory at No. 1, 6-3, 6-0.
- Brown, however, won each of the final five singles matches.
- Dong and Argentini both forced third sets at No. 2 and No. 3. Dong won 6-1 in the second set, while Argentini earned a 6-4 victory in the second set.
No. 1 – No. 81 Kuhar (BRY) def. Litsky (BRW), 6-3, 6-0
No. 2 – Lam (BRW) def. Dong (BRY), 6-1, 1-6, 6-2
No. 3 – Chou (BRW) def. Argentini (BRY), 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
No. 4 – Walker (BRW) def. Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 6-1, 6-4
No. 5 – Tan (BRW) def. Massam (BRY), 6-1, 6-1
No. 6 – Siniakowicz (BRW) def. Quiros (BRY), 6-0, 6-2
No. 1 – Kuhar/Dong (BRY) def. Litsky/Chou (BRW), 7-5
No. 2 – Argentini/Massam (BRY) def. Lam/Tan (BRW), 6-4
No. 3 – Pertile/Ortiz-Garcia (BRY) def. Walker/Van Eck (BRW), 7-6 (18-16)
The Bulldogs have two weeks off before their next match on Feb. 9 against Boston University.