FLUSHING, N.Y. – The Bryant University men's tennis team fell to No. 16 Columbia, 4-0, in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday afternoon at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
Bryant finished one of its most successful Division I seasons at 20-11. The Bulldogs won their sixth-straight NEC title.
Coach Gendron's Comments
"Today, we lost to a better team. They made more balls and played with a determination that we could not match. I expect this loss to be a learning experience, one that helps us continue to develop. It does not, however, take away from the most productive season I have ever been a part of. This team represented the NEC all season with class and heart. This team has set the bar that all teams that follow will try to match and improve upon. Vamos Perros."
How it Happened
- Columbia took the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3.
- Singles play was interrupted for roughly an hour and a half by rain.
- When play resumed, the Lions clinched the match with wins at 1, 5 and 6.
- Sophomore Wilson Dong (Bradenton, Fla.) played well at No. 2, falling 6-4 in the first set before having match go unfinished with the second set tied at 2-2.
- Senior Artur Jakubowski (Dallas, Texas) fell 6-4 in the first set but was up 4-2 in the second set before it went unfinished.
Notes and Notables
- Senior Matt Kuhar (Smithfield, R.I.) finishes his career with 89 career victories.
- Friday was Bryant's sixth-straight appearance in the NCAA Tournament.
No. 1 – No. 37 Pham (COL) def. Kuhar (BRY), 6-0, 6-0
No. 2 – No. 22 Lin (COL) vs. Dong (BRY), 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
No. 3 – No. 107 Ambrozy (COL) vs. Jakubowski (BRY), 6-4, 2-4, unfinished
No. 4 – No. 117 Pandole (COL) vs. Argentini (BRY), 6-2, 5-0, unfinished
No. 5 – Wang (COL) def. Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 6-2, 6-0
No. 6 – Huang (COL) def. M. Plutt (BRY), 6-3, 6-2
No. 1 – No. 30 Lin/Matheson (COL) def. Kuhar/Jakubowski (BRY), 6-3
No. 2 – Pham/Pandole (COL) vs. Argentini/Massam (BRY), 5-4, unfinished
No. 3 – Lui/Ambrozy (COL) def. Pertile/Ortiz-Garcia (BRY), 6-1