EUGENE, Ore. – Despite allowing just four hits in the first game, the Bryant University softball team fell in both ends of a doubleheader on Saturday at Jane Sanders Stadium in Eugene. The Bulldogs' played both Toledo and Weber State on the day.
Toledo 5, Bryant 2 (Gm 1)
Weber State 12, Bryant 2 (Gm 2)
Records: Bryant (4-8), Toledo (11-11), Weber State (11-12)
Location: Jane Sanders Stadium (Eugene, Ore.)
COACH LOTITO'S COMMENTS
"It was a hard fought game in game one, but I am proud of the game for working through some adversity and fighting all seven innings.
"Game two, we faced a very good hitting Weber State team. There were some things we need to clean up and do better, but also things the saw that we liked and want to build off of. Overall, it's going to be a tough weekend against very solid competition."
KEY MOMENTS (Gm 1)
- Down 3-0 in the third inning, senior catcher Robyn Ukegawa (Carlsbad, Calif.) delivered a two-RBI single up the middle to bring Bryant within a run.
- Toledo led off the seventh inning with a solo home run off the bat of Bekah Yenrick to take a 4-2 lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Gm 1)
- Both teams were held hitless over the first two innings.
- Toledo scored three runs in the third inning. The Rockets scored on a fielder's choice and then twice more on a pair of bases-loaded walks.
- The Bulldogs answered back in the home half of the inning. Freshman Kolby Deziel (Pasadena, Calif.) walked with one out and advanced to second after classmate Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) laced a single into left. When fellow first-year Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.) walked, Ukegawa plated two runs with her single up the middle.
- Toledo scored two in the seventh to shut the door on the Bulldogs' comeback effort. Yenrick homered to lead off the inning for the Rockets. The visitors scored again after a bases-loaded walk to Kylie Norwood plated another.
STATS (Gm 1)
- Redshirt junior Logan Paul (Shaker Heights, Ohio) pitched 4.2 innings in relief. She allowed just four hits and two runs while striking out three.
- Five Bulldogs had hits in the first game, including the first-career hit for Deziel. Bilodeau, Ukegawa, Goulart, and Powell also had knocks for the Bulldogs.
KEY MOMENTS (Gm 2)
- Weber State's Sadie Blacker hit a grand slam in the first inning to extend Weber State's lead to 5-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Gm 2)
- Blacker's grand slam was a part of an eight-run first inning for Weber State.
- The Wildcats scored three more runs in the second inning. Ali Belloc singled to center field to plate two.
- Weber State hit two doubles in the fourth inning to score its final run of the game.
- In fifth, Bryant plated two runs. Sophomore Nicole Davis (Toms River, N.J.) walked to start the inning and advanced to third after freshman Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) doubled to center field. After a walk by junior Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) to load the bases, classmate Jenna Cali () plated Davis for the Bulldogs' first run of the game with a groundout to second.
- Sophomore Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) followed with a groundout to second to score McKeveny from third.
STATS (Gm 2)
- Sophomore Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.), Bell, and Gradillas each drew walks in Saturday's second game.
- Morgan Powell led the game off via hit-by-pitch.
- McKeveny's double in the fifth inning was her first-career hit.
- Senior Hannah Crofut (Buffalo, N.Y.) made her collegiate softball debut in the fourth inning of Bryant's second game. Crofut was a four-year member of the women's soccer team at Bryant and was named Second Team All-Northeast Conference as a junior.
Bryant will meet Weber State again in the first game of the day at Jane Sanders Stadium before taking on the fourth-ranked Oregon Ducks to end the day. The latter game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network. The Bulldogs start play at 12:30 p.m. Eastern, 9:30 a.m. Pacific.