SEATTLE, Wash. – The Bryant University softball team dropped its first two games of the Seattle U Invite on Friday, falling to Portland State in the day's opening game and the host team, Seattle, in the final action of the day. All games were played at Seattle's Logan Field.
Portland State 6, Bryant 1
Seattle 7, Bryant 0
Records: Bryant (4-13), Portland State (5-16), Seattle (16-12)
Location: Francis F. Logan Field (Seattle, Wash.)
KEY MOMENT (Game 1)
- Leading 1-0 in the third inning, Portland State's Ashley Doyle hit a grand slam over the right field fence to give the Vikings a five-run lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game 1)
- The Vikings got on the board in the first inning, scoring on a defensive miscue from the Bulldogs.
- Doyle's home run gave PSU a 5-0 lead.
- In the fourth, Bryant got a run back. Sophomore Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) led the inning off with an infield single and advanced to second base on a groundout. With one out, classmate Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) smashed a double to left field to score Bell.
- PSU scored the game's final run in the sixth inning when Tayler Gunesch singled through the right side to score a runner from third.
STATS (Game 1)
- Redshirt junior Brandi Burgin (Santa Clarita, Calif.) made her season debut, throwing a scoreless seventh inning for the Bulldogs.
- Ermish started the game in the circle. She threw six innings and struck out two batters for Bryant, throwing 98 pitches.
- Bulldog batters drew four walks in the game. Freshmen Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) and Gianna Ceccarelli (Claremont, Calif.), Ermish, and junior Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) all reached on free passes.
- Ermish's double was her second of the season.
KEY MOMENT (Game 2)
- In the fifth inning up, Seattle's Madison Cathcart sent a grand slam over the fence in right field to give the Redhawks a 7-0 lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game 2)
- Seattle got on the board in the first inning, scoring a run on a wild pitch with the bases loaded.
- In the second inning, sophomore Marianna Politis (Arcadia, Calif.) doubled to center for the first Bryant hit. Senior Rachel Monroe (Southwick, Mass.) made good contact in the previous at bat, but a diving play robbed her of a single.
- The Redhawks scored again in the second, scoring on a fielder's choice to take a 2-0 lead.
- In the fourth inning, senior Gianna Pizzano (Saugus, Mass.) singled deep in the left-center field gap.
- In the home half of the inning with the bases loaded, Seattle's Nicole Bolasky scored on a play at the plate that was ruled an error.
STATS (Game 2)
- Politis threw out all three potential base stealers in the game.
- The Bulldogs drew five walks in the game.
- This was the first time Bryant has ever played each of the two schools. The Bulldogs and Vikings were scheduled to play this past Tuesday, but rain canceled the doubleheader.
- Powell has reached base safely in each of the last three games.
Bryant continues the Seattle U Invite by playing each institution again tomorrow. The Vikings and Bulldogs start off the action at 3 p.m. Eastern (Noon Pacific) and then take on Seattle at 5:30 p.m. (2:30 Pacific). The Black and Gold wrap up the tournament on Sunday with the Redhawks.