SEATTLE, Wash. – Bryant University softball junior Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) hit her first home run of the season, but the Bulldogs fell in both ends of a doubleheader on Saturday in the Seattle U Invite. Bryant dropped contests to Seattle and Portland State.
Portland State 14, Bryant 4
Seattle 5, Bryant 0
Records: Bryant (4-15), Portland State (6-16), Seattle (17-12)
Location: Francis F. Logan Field (Seattle, Wash.)
COACH LOTITO'S COMMENTS:
"Today was a tough day for the team, but hopefully a day of learning and adjusting. Both opponents are good teams and both played very well. As a whole, we need to do a better job of capitalizing on our opportunities and minimizing opponents."
KEY MOMENT (Game 1)
- After a leadoff single from freshman Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.), Goulart homered to right field for her first home run of the season. The long ball gave the Bulldogs a 2-0 lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game 1)
- Goulart's homer started off a four-run inning for Bryant. Sophomore Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) singled through the left side to give the Black and Gold three-consecutive hits. With two outs, senior Rachel Monroe (Southwick, Mass.) doubled to score Ermish and freshman Kolby Deziel (Pasadena, Calif.), who drew a walk in the previous plate appearance.
- Freshman Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) allowed just one hit over the first two innings. She struck out three batters in the opening two frames.
- Sophomore Marianna Politis (Arcadia, Calif.) singled in the third inning and advanced to second but was unable to score.
- Eight extra base hits set up 13 third-inning runs for the Vikings. PSU's Alexis Morrison homered to cap off the scoring.
STATS (Game 1)
- Monroe went 2-for-2 and had two RBI in the game.
- Goulart also had two RBI in a 1-for-3 day.
- Politis and Deziel each reach via walk in the game.
- McKeveny finished with three strikeouts in the game.
KEY MOMENT (Game 2)
- In the bottom of the fifth inning, Seattle's Ally Choate delivered a two-run single to give Seattle a 3-0 lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game 2)
- The Redhawks scored on a defensive miscue in the second inning to take a 1-0 lead.
- Powell singled to left field for the first Bulldog hit of the evening in the third inning. She moved to second after a sacrifice bunt from Goulart but did not advance further.
- Deziel singled to left field in the fifth but was erased after a double play by the Redhawk defense.
- Choate's single extended the Seattle lead to 3-0.
- After a pitching change, Breanna Timmons singled to right field to score two runners and cap off the game's scoring.
- Monroe and Deziel walked with two outs in the fifth inning before a fielder's choice ended the game.
STATS (Game 2)
- Powell's two hits led the team. It was her first-career multi-hit game.
- Deziel went 1-for-2 and drew a walk in the second game.
- Junior Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) threw four innings for Bryant, allowing six hits and for runs (one earned). She struck out one and walked one.
- Redshirt junior Logan Paul (Shaker Heights, Ohio) threw two innings in relief. She allowed two hits and one unearned run.
- Powell extended her reached-base streak to five games after getting hits in both games on Saturday.
- Deziel also improved her streak to three games.
- Bryant falls to 0-2 against both Seattle and Portland State.
Bryant wraps up the Seattle U Invite on Sunday when they take on the Redhawks at 1 p.m. Eastern (10 a.m. Pacific).