SEATTLE, Wash. – Bryant University softball senior Rachel Monroe (Southwick, Mass.) had two hits and an RBI, but the Bulldogs fell to Seattle University Redhawks, 5-4, in the final day of the Seattle U Invite played at Logan Field in Seattle.
Seattle 5, Bryant 4
Records: Bryant (4-16), Seattle (18-13)
Location: Francis F. Logan Field (Seattle, Wash.)
W|L: Andie Larkins (5-4) | Gabrielle Ermish (1-6)
Bryant sophomore Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) delivered a two-run single in the first inning to tie the game at two. She stole second and later scored to give the Bulldogs an early 3-2 lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Seattle jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning when the Redhawks' Madison Cathcart delivered a single to left field.
- The Bulldogs answered back in the second inning. Freshman Kolby Deziel (Pasadena, Calif.) walked with one out and moved to second after Monroe singled up the middle. After both runners advanced after a sacrifice bunt from Gianna Pizzano (Saugus, Mass.), Bell singled into center field to tie the game at two.
- Bell stole second and scored to give the Bulldogs a 3-2 lead after freshman Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) singled to left field.
- The Redhawks tied the lead in the third on a solo home run from Cathright, her NCAA-leading 16th of the year.
- An RBI double in the fourth would give Seattle a 4-3 lead
- Bulldog junior Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) one-hopped the wall in right for a double to start the sixth inning. After sophomore Helaina Michaud (Phoenixville, Pa.) pinch ran, Monroe delivered an RBI single to right field to tie the game for Bryant.
- A double and a hit by pitch set up Seattle's Ally Choate's RBI single with two outs for the game-winning hit.
- Monroe went 2-for-3 with an RBI and run scored.
- Bell went 1-for-2 at the plate with a two-RBI single and run scored.
- Powell went 1-for-3 with an RBI. She also led the game off with a walk.
- Sophomore Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) and Gradillas each had a hit and reached via walk on Sunday.
- Powell now has a three-game hitting streak and a six-game reached-base streak. It is her second streak of at least six games this season.
- Deziel improved her reached-base streak to four games, while Monroe is riding a streak of three.
- Bell's two RBI are a new career high for a single game.
- Bryant falls to 0-3 against both Seattle
The Bulldogs will make their home debut on Wednesday, March. 21 when Bryant hosts Boston University in a doubleheader at Conaty Park. The first game is slated to start at 2 p.m.