SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University softball team officially opens up Northeast Conference play as the Bulldogs head south to Hackensack, New Jersey, for a Friday doubleheader at Fairleigh Dickinson. The first game is set for a 1 p.m. first pitch.
- Since joining the Division I ranks, Bryant boasts a 13-5 record over the Knights. The Bulldogs took home a pair of 7-0 wins against FDU last season. Then-freshman Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) earned wins in both games, throwing a combined 11 innings and striking out 10.
BULLDOG NOTES AND NOTABLES
- The Black and Gold enter Wednesday's game with a 6-17 record and are winners of their last two, having swept Hartford in a doubleheader on Sunday.
- The Bulldogs last opened the conference season on the road in 2016. They took home a 1-0 win over the Pioneers of Sacred Heart.
- Freshman Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) leads the Bulldogs with a .298 average. Powell has reached base safely via walk or hit in 18 of Bryant's 23 games this season.
- Junior Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) and freshmen Alexandra Hickey (St. John, Ind.) and Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.) are tied for the team lead with two home runs each.
- Junior Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) has a .276 average for Bryant with a home run and a team-leading nine RBI. She also has four stolen bases in 2018.
- In the circle, redshirt junior Logan Paul (Shaker Heights, Ohio) owns a 3-1 record.
- Freshman pitcher Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) leads the Bryant pitching staff with 32 strikeouts. Against Hartford, McKeveny earned her first career win and struck out five batters in just 3.1 innings of work.
- Ermish is coming off of her most dominant outing of the season on Sunday. Ermish earned a win over Hartford on Sunday, throwing a complete game and allowing just five hits and two runs while striking out six.
SCOUTING THE KNIGHTS
- FDU enters NEC play with a 7-16 record and are winners of their last two games. The Knights last swept Saint Peter's, 7-1 and 4-2, in the team's home-opening doubleheader on Tuesday.
- Reanna Cervantes leads Fairleigh Dickinson with a .333 average and has six doubles and two triples on the season.
- Abby England is 4-4 in the circle this season, leading the Knights with a 3.53 ERA. She has struck out 22 batters in 45.2 innings.
- FDU is coached by Chris Foye, who is in his first season with the program. He was most recently an assistant at NYU last season, leading the team to a 19-19 record.