SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University softball team opens up its home season and continues Northeast Conference play as the Bulldogs will host LIU Brooklyn and Wagner in a pair of doubleheaders this weekend. Both days are slated for 1 p.m. start times.
- The Bulldogs and Blackbirds have met 19 times since Bryant received the bid into the Northeast Conference, with LIU Brooklyn holding a 10-9 lead over Bryant.
- Wagner has squared off with the Black and Gold on 18 occassions previously. Bryant holds a 12-6 lead in the all-time series and are 12-2 in the last 16 meetings.
BULLDOG NOTES AND NOTABLES
- Bryant enters the week with a 7-18 record on the season and a 1-1 mark in NEC play.
- Saturday's doubleheader marks Bryant's home-opener.
- Freshman Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) leads the Bulldogs with a .302 average at the plate.
- Five Bulldogs share the team lead with two home runs. Junior Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) hit her second long ball of the season last Friday against Fairleigh Dickinson, a game in which she went 3-for-5 with four RBI. Senior Gianna Pizzano (Saugus, Mass.) also hit her second dinger of the season, a two-run shot to ignite a six-run eighth inning to lift the Bulldogs over the Knights. Junior Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) and freshmen Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.) and Alexandra Hickey (St. John, Ind.) also share the team lead.
- In the circle, redshirt junior Logan Paul (Shaker Heights, Ohio) owns a 4-1 record. She last earned a win over FDU, throwing 1.1 innings of relief and allowing surrendering a walk.
- Freshman pitcher Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) leads Bryant with 33 strikeouts in 36 innings pitched. She earned her first-career win over Hartford on March 25.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS
- LIU Brooklyn enters the weekend with a 12-17 record and a 1-0 mark in NEC play. The Blackbirds topped the Seahawks in eight innings in last weekend's conference opener with the second game of the doubleheader suspended due to inclement weather.
- Victoria Zamora leads the Blackbirds with a .391 average and has played in and started in 28 games for LIU Brooklyn.
- Ryleigh Bermea leads the Blackbirds with four home runs and 19 RBI. She is batting .330 this season.
- Erynn Sobieski has assumed the ace role on the Blackbird pitching staff. She is 6-7 on the season with a 4.34 ERA and has struck out 31 batters in 69.1 innings.
- Wagner enters the weekend with a 6-17 overall record and fell to LIU Brooklyn in its lone conference game so far this season. Wagner will take on Central Connecticut for two games on Saturday.
- Stefanie Aplin leads the Seahawks with a .315 average.
- Kaila Smith is the team leader with four home runs and is second on the team with 11 RBI. She comes into the weekend batting .254.
- Arielle Koerber has seen the most use in the circle for Wagner, coming into the weekend with a 5-5 record and a 4.09 ERA. She has struck out 15 batters in 63.1 innings.