SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Senior Rachel Monroe (Southwick, Mass.) drove in five runs across two games and freshman Gianna Ceccarelli (Claremont, Calif.) had two doubles and four RBI as the Bryant University softball team split a doubleheader with the Wagner College Seahawks on Sunday afternoon at Conaty Park in Smithfield.
Wagner 7, Bryant 3
Bryant 12, Wagner 4
Records: LIU Brooklyn 8-19 (2-5) | Bryant 9-20 (3-3)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
COACH LOTITO'S COMMENTS:
"We're continuing to get better and continuing to see the ball well. We're continuing to fight, we put up good numbers in both games. We want to peak in May and if we keep going in this direction, we will peak in May. We'll be exactly where we want to be. We just want to keep working and next week get after it again.
"I'm so extremely proud of Colby. She's worked really, really hard to get to where she is today. I couldn't be more proud of the performance she gave us today and the performance she's been giving us a lot this season. We're really excited to see her grow in that kind of role."
KEY MOMENTS (Game 1)
- In the third inning, Ceccarelli sent a double to right field to score sophomore Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) to give the Bulldogs a 3-2 lead.
- In the top of the fifth inning, Wagner scored five runs capped by a two-run homer to right field off the bat of Kaila Smith.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game 1)
- Wagner got on the board in the top of the second inning after Alyssa Tucker scored on a two-run single into the right-center field alley.
- In the bottom half of the inning, freshman Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) tied the game on a single up the middle plating Monroe and Ceccarelli.
- In the third inning, Ceccarelli's double gave Bryant a 3-2 lead.
- Wagner took the lead back in the fifth inning after a two-run double off the bat of Karen Prihoda. Maite Reece followed with an RBI single, and Smith's home run rounded out the scoring.
STATS (Game 1)
- Ceccarelli led the way for Bryant with two hits. She also scored and drove in a run in the game.
- Ermish, Monroe, Powell, and senior Gianna Pizzano (Saugus, Mass.) all had hits for the Black and Gold. Powell led Bryant with two RBI.
- In relief, junior Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) threw 2.2 innings in relief. After allowing a home run to her first batter, the Virginia native did not allow another run and struck out three batters.
KEY MOMENTS (Game 2)
- Ceccarelli sent an RBI double down the left field line to give Bryant a 3-1 lead in the bottom half of the first inning in the second game. Juniors Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) and Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) scored on the play.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game 2)
- Reece singled to give Wagner a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning.
- The Bulldogs answered back in the bottom half of the inning. Sophomore Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) walked to lead off the game and later scored on a Goulart single to left field. Ceccarelli's double gave the Bulldogs a 3-1 lead.
- Bryant hung up five runs in the second inning, started by an RBI bunt single from Bell to score Pizzano from third base. Monroe followed with a two-run single through the left side, scoring Bell and Powell.
- Ceccarelli lofted a sacrifice fly to center field to score Monroe from third base. The Bulldogs ended the inning after hitting into a double play, but crafty baserunning by Ermish allowed Gradillas to score from third and score the eighth Bryant run.
- In the top of the third inning, Wagner's Karen Prihoda sent a solo homer over left field fence.
- Monroe singled to center with the bases loaded to score Powell and Pizzano, giving Bryant a 10-2 run lead in the third inning. In the following at-bat, Gradillas sent a double to the warning track in center to score Monroe and Bell. The ball fell just inches short of her third homer of the season.
- After Wagner scored in the top of the fourth, Monroe added an RBI single to score senior Robyn Ukegawa (Carlsbad, Calif.). Wagner ended the game's scoring with a sacrifice fly from Kaila Smith in the fifth inning.
STATS (Game 2)
- Monroe went 3-for-4 in game two, driving in five runs in the game.
- Bell, Gradillas, Goulart, and Pizzano all had two-hit games for the Bulldogs at the plate. Each of Pizzano's hits were doubles down the left field line.
- Ukegawa and Ceccarelli each had single hits in the game. Ceccarelli drove in three runs, an RBI double and a sacrifice fly getting the job done for the freshman.
- Norris earned her first win of the season. The sophomore threw four innings and allowed just three runs. She struck out one batter in the game.
- Powell, Pizzano, and Ceccarelli each went 3-for-5 in Sunday's doubleheader.
- Monroe went 4-for-7 and drove in five runs in the game. On the weekend, the senior went 7-for-14 with a double, two home runs and 10 RBI.
- The Bulldogs were a perfect 3-for-3 in stolen bases in the doubleheader. Bell swiped two bases, while Powell recorded the first stolen base of her career versus the Seahawks.
- Led by Ceccarelli and Pizzano's two doubles each, the Bulldogs had a combined six two-baggers on the day. Ukegawa and Gradillas also doubled.
- Nine different Bulldogs scored runs, led by Bell crossing the plate three times.
- Bryant matched its season high in runs scored with 12. The Bulldogs also scored 12 on March 30 at Fairleigh Dickinson, with that game going eight innings.
Bryant stays home, hosting Providence College on Wednesday for a twin set. The Friars and Bulldogs are slated to start the doubleheader at 3 p.m.