SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University softball team used a four-run sixth inning to win game one, but Sacred Heart bounced back to win game two and earn a split of Saturday's Northeast Conference doubleheader at Pioneer Park.
With the game tied at 1-1 in the top of the sixth in game one, senior Gianna Pizzano (Saugus, Mass.) delivered a two-out RBI single to break the tie and junior Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) hit a bases-clearing triple to expand the lead in an eventual 5-2 victory.
In game two, Sacred Heart's Emily Orosco struck out 12 in a two-hit, complete-game shutout. Freshman Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) and senior Rachel Monroe (Southwick, Mass.) collected the two Bryant hits.
Bryant 5, Sacred Heart 2
Bryant 0, Sacred Heart 2
Records: Bryant (10-23, 4-4 NEC), Sacred Heart (21-15, 4-2 NEC)
Location: Pioneer Park (Fairfield, Conn.)
W|L: Sarah McKeveny (3-8) | Kristen McCann (9-9)
W|L: Emily Orosco (9-3) | Logan Paul (4-3)
Coach Lotito's Comments
"I think our offense has been pretty consistent. We stayed confident that it would show itself and it was good to see our upperclassmen get good bat at ball when it mattered.
Sarah's an unbelievable pitcher. She faced a lot of tough competition early on and now she is comfortable. I really think that she has a lot of potential and we are excited to see her continue to own this role.
They (SHU) are a strong team and I am proud of how they played. I think we are in a really good spot to be a contender to win an NEC championship."
Key Moments (Game 1)
- With the game tied in the top of the sixth, Pizzano delivered a clutch two-out RBI single to give the Bulldogs the lead.
- Three batters later, Goulart cleared the bases with a triple to right field, giving Bryant a 5-1 lead.
How it Happened (Game 1)
- Bryant took the lead with a run in the top of the third. Powell led off with a single, stole second and advanced to third on a Goulart single. With two outs, Powell raced home on a passed ball.
- Sacred Heart tied the game in fourth inning. Hailey Desrosiers singled to open the inning, moved to third on a fly out and scored on a single to third by Katelyn Christian.
- In the sixth, Bryant broke the tie with four runs. Two hits opened the inning but it looked like the Pioneers might escape trouble as they turned a double play. Pizzano, however, followed with a single to second, scoring freshman Kolby Deziel (Pasadena, Calif.) from second. A walk and a single then loaded the bases with two outs and Goulart cleared them with her second-career triple.
- Sacred Heart closed the scoring in the seventh as Desrosiers contributed a two-out RBI single.
Stats (Game 1)
- Bryant out-hit Sacred Heart, 8-4.
- The Bulldogs stole four bases in the game.
- Freshman Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) allowed two runs on four hits in a complete game victory. She walked seven and struck out five.
- Powell picked up a hit, stole a base and scored a run.
- Goulart had two hits and drove in three runs.
- Pizzano went 1-for-2 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Freshman Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.) contributed a pinch-hit single in Bryant's four-run sixth.
Key Moment (Game 2)
- Fallon Bevino drove in Lauren Delgadillo in the first inning. The run turned out to be the decisive run in the contest.
How it Happened (Game 2)
- Delgadillo doubled with one out in the first and then came around to score two batters later.
- Sacred Heart added an insurance run in the fifth as Jennie Boisvert plated Addison Landry with a sac fly.
Stats (Game 2)
- Senior Logan Paul (Shaker Heights, Ohio) suffered the loss in game two, allowing two runs on seven hits over four-plus innings. She walked three.
- Junior Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) recorded the final six outs. She did not allow a run or a hit.
- Powell picked up a single in the contest.
- Monroe tripled with one out in the top of the seventh for Bryant's other hit.
- Orosco struck out 12 and walked just one in the complete-game win for Sacred Heart.
- Goulart posted her sixth multi-hit game of the year in the opener.
- Goulart's triple was just the second of her career.
- Monroe extended her hitting streak and her on-base streak to nine games each.
- Monroe also hit her second-career triple. She now has five extra-base hits in her last six games.
- McKevney has now earned back-to-back complete-game victories in NEC play.
Bryant returns home on Sunday to face Central Connecticut in a Northeast Conference doubleheader. The Bulldogs and Blue Devils are scheduled to get underway at 1:00 p.m.