SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Freshman Adriana Sanchez (Clyde, Ohio) tossed two scoreless innings of relief but the University of Connecticut defeated the Bryant University softball team, 4-1, on Tuesday afternoon.
UConn's Jill Stockley tossed a complete game, holding the Black and Gold to one run on just two hits. She walked four and struck out six.
Coming on in the fifth, Sanchez surrendered just two hits over two scoreless innings to close the game. She didn't walk a batter or strike out a batter.
Bryant 1, UConn 4
Records: Bryant (12-26), UConn (18-30)
Location: Burrill Family Field (Storrs, Conn.)
W|L: Jill Stockley (8-13) | Brandi Burgin (0-2)
Coach Lotito's Comments
"I'm proud of the fight they showed. We saw a lot of good things. Our goal right now is to get better every time we step on the field and prepare for our NEC opponents. We just need to keep working and peak at the right time."
- Briana Marcelino gave the Huskies a 2-0 lead just two batters into the game with a two-run home run to left field.
How it Happened
- After an infield error started the game, Marcelino hit a two-run home run to left field.
- In the second, three-straight singles opened the inning and Kiwi McDaniel delivered a sac fly to make it 3-0.
- The Huskies made it 4-0 with on a two-out double from McDaniel in the fourth.
- Bryant scored its only run in the top of the sixth. Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.) reached on a fielder's choice, stole second and came around to score on a two-out, pinch-hit single from sophomore Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.).
- Senior Brandi Burgin (Santa Clarita, Calif.) started for the Bulldogs and pitched the first four innings. She allowed four runs (three earned) on seven hits, walked three and struck out one.
- Sanchez pitched the final two innings without allowing a run.
- Bilodeau stole a base and scored a run.
- Senior Rachel Monroe (Southwick, Mass.) picked up a single and drew a walk.
- Ermish drove in the only run with a pinch-hit single.
- Junior Jenna Cali (Franklinville, N.J.) walked twice and stole a base.
- Marcelino and McDaniel each drove in two runs for UConn.
- Sanchez has now pitched in each of the last three games for the Bulldogs.
- Bilodeau picked up her first-career stolen base.
- Burgin's four innings were a season-high.
- Cali stole her second base of the season.
Bryant will return to the Ocean State for a midweek game against URI on Thursday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 4:00 p.m.