SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University softball team plays its penultimate home date of 2018 Saturday with a doubleheader against NEC foe Mount St. Mary's Saturday at Conaty Park.
Saturday's doubleheader will serve as Senior Day for the Black and Gold, as Bryant will honor its six seniors - Brandi Burgin (Santa Clarita, Calif.), Hannah Crofut (Buffalo, N.Y.), Rachel Monroe (Southwick, Mass.), Logan Paul (Shaker Heights, Ohio), Gianna Pizzano (Saugus, Mass.) and Robyn Ukegawa (Carlsbad, Calif.) - following the conclusion of the doubleheader. Bryant will have one more home date May 6, as the Bulldogs make up a rainout against Central Connecticut.
Bryant is 9-7 against Mount St. Mary's in a series that dates back to 2010. The Bulldogs took both meetings last season in Emmitsburg, as Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) tossed a shutout in the first game and scored the game-winning run in the ninth inning of game two.
Bulldogs Notes and Notables
- Bryant is 12-27 on the year following a 2-1 defeat down the road at Rhode Island Thursday. Pizzano went 1-for-2 with a run scored in the loss.
- The Bulldogs split a four-game trip to Pennsylvania last weekend to even their NEC mark at 6-6. Bryant swept Robert Morris Saturday and dropped both ends of a doubleheader at Saint Francis U Sunday.
- Freshman Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) has led the Black and Gold on the year with a .347 batting average, while Monroe has hit .303 with a team-leading 19 runs batted in.
- Pizzano enters Saturday on a four-game hitting streak, as the senior is 5-for-10 with a home run and four runs scored since the second game of Saturday's doubleheader.
- Sophomore Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) entered the week ranked fifth in the NEC in stolen bases with nine, including three games of two steals and a 90 percent success rate (9-for-10).
- Ermish (13) and freshman Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) (12) have combined to start 25 of Bryant's 39 games in the circle.
Scouting the Mountaineers
- Mount St. Mary's is 14-21-1 after a 3-1 weekend with a split against LIU Brooklyn and a sweep of Wagner. Wednesday's doubleheader against George Mason was rained out.
- The Mount is 4-6 in the NEC, tied with Bryant in the loss column with two games in hand. Mount St. Mary's will travel to Central Connecticut Sunday and host Sacred Heart May 6.
- Lindsay Heinze leads qualifying hitters with a .304 batting average, while Morgan Alisauckas is hitting .301. Heinze has contributed team-highs in homers (6) and runs batted in (25).
- Kristen Mumma is a team-best 9-for-10 on the basepaths, matching the Bulldogs' Tiffany Bell.
- Jordan Weaver (17) and Amanda Berkley (11) have combined to start in the circle in 28 of the Mount's 36 contests.
Bryant travels to Boston College Wednesday for a 4 p.m. game – the first of four contests in the final week of the regular season.