SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Three Bryant University softball pitchers combined to limit the University of Rhode Island to just five hits but the Rams were able to scrape out a 2-1 victory on Thursday afternoon in Kingston.
Junior Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) allowed one run on three hits over 2 1/3 innings, freshman Adriana Sanchez (Clyde, Ohio) allowed one run on just one hit over two innings and sophomore Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) pitched the final 1 2/3 innings without allowing a run.
Bryant 1, Rhode Island 2
Records: Bryant (12-27), URI (12-30)
Location: URI Softball Complex (Kingston, R.I.)
W|L: Becca Rogers (3-12) | Adriana Sanchez (0-1)
- Caileigh Holland broke a 1-1 tie with an RBI single through the right side in the bottom of the fifth.
How it Happened
- The Rams jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first. With the bases loaded, Melanie Martire brought home a run with a fielder's choice to deep short.
- Bryant tied the game in the top of the third. Senior Gianna Pizzano (Saugus, Mass.) opened the inning with a single, took second on an error, stole third and scored as the throw got away.
- Hannah DeSousa started URI's fifth-inning rally with a single. Brianna Heller pinch ran and took second after a walk. Holland then greeted Ermish with a single through the right side to make it 2-1.
- Norris started and allowed one run on three hits over 2 1/3 innings. She walked two and struck out one.
- Sanchez walked three but allowed just one run on one hit over two innings.
- Ermish closed the game with 1 2/3 innings of scoreless relief. She struck out one.
- Pizzano collected Bryant's only hit and scored its only run.
- Sanchez has now pitched in each of the last four games for the Bulldogs.
- Pizzano stole her third base of the season and the fifth of her career.
Bryant welcomes Mount St. Mary's to Conaty Park for a pivotal Northeast Conference doubleheader on Saturday. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. Bryant will honor its senior class following the two games.