SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Junior Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass) collected four hits on the afternoon, but the Bryant University softball team was defeated in both ends of a doubleheader by Mount St. Mary's Saturday on Senior Day at Conaty Park.
Senior Robyn Ukegawa (Carlsbad, Calif.) drove in a pair of runs, while Goulart homered and went 4-for-8 in the doubleheader.
Game 1: Mount St. Mary's 5, Bryant 1
Game 2: Mount St. Mary's 7, Bryant 4
Records: Bryant (12-29, 6-8 NEC) | Mount St. Mary's (16-21-1, 6-6 NEC)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
KEY MOMENT (Game 1)
- The Mountaineers jumped ahead 3-0 in the top of the first behind a two-run double and run-scoring passed ball.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game 1)
- Mount St. Mary's scored three runs in the first with a two-run double getting the Mountaineers on the board. Another run came across on a passed ball.
- The Mountaineers added to the lead in the second inning on a Morgan Alisauckas homer and in the fourth on an RBI groundout to lead 4-0.
- Junior Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) chipped into the deficit with a sixth-inning RBI single to score Goulart for the lone Bulldog run of the opener.
STATS (Game 1)
- The Bulldogs tallied five hits in the opening game with two from Goulart.
- Senior Logan Paul (Shaker Heights, Ohio) pitched 5 1/3 innings of relief, holding the Mountaineers to one unearned run.
KEY MOMENTS (Game 2)
- The Mountaineers lead 3-0 after 1 ½ innings off Alisauckas' second homer of the afternoon.
- Bryant loaded the bases with nobody out in the sixth, but were only able to push across one run before adding a seventh-inning homer.
HOW IT HAPPENED (Game 2)
- The Mount collected two runs on four hits in the top of the first to jump ahead.
- An Alisauckas homer in the top of the second pushed the Mountaineer lead to 3-0, but an Ukegawa sac fly in the bottom of the frame scored Gradillas to make it 3-1.
- A leadoff homer in the third and an unearned run in the fourth gave the Mount a 5-1 advantage.
- Sophomore Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) tagged a double off the wall to plate senior Rachel Monroe (Southwick, Mass.) and bring Bryant back within 5-2.
- A pair of sixth-inning RBI groundouts extended the Mount cushion to 7-2.
- After loading the bases to begin the sixth, an Ukegawa RBI single in the bottom of the inning scored Monroe, but Bryant stranded the remaining three to trail 7-3 heading to the seventh.
- Goulart homered in the final inning for the 7-4 final.
STATS (Game 2)
- Seven of the nine Bulldogs in the starting lineup picked up at least one hit, with Goulart collecting two.
- Ukegawa was 1-for-2 with two RBIs including the sac fly.
- Monroe, the lone starting Bryant position player not to record a base hit, walked twice.
- Gradillas was 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Bryant drops to 9-9 all-time against Mount St. Mary's.
- The Bulldogs collected eight or more hits for the eighth time in 14 NEC games.
- All six Bryant seniors - Brandi Burgin (Santa Clarita, Calif.), Hannah Crofut (Buffalo, N.Y.), Monroe, Paul, Gianna Pizzano (Saugus, Mass.) and Ukegawa – appeared in at least one game Saturday.
Bryant returns to action Wednesday as the Bulldogs take the trip up to Brighton, Massachusetts, to face Boston College at 4 p.m.