BRIGHTON, Mass. – The Bryant University softball team travels to Massachusetts for its final two non-conference contests of the regular season, as the Bulldogs face Boston College and Holy Cross Wednesday and Thursday in preparation for Sunday's NEC finale.
Bryant and Boston College square off in a single game Wednesday on the Eagles' Brighton Campus facility before the Bulldogs battle Holy Cross in a Thursday in a makeup of a rainout from March 28.
Opponent (Wednesday): Boston College
Location: Harrington Athletics Village at Brighton Fields (Brighton, Mass.)
Time: 4 p.m.
Live Stream: None
Live Stats: BCEagles.com
Opponent (Thursday): Holy Cross
Location: Freshman Field (Worcester, Mass.)
Time: 4:35 p.m.
Live Stream: None
Live Stats: GoHolyCross.com
Bryant is 1-10 against Boston College in the Division I era, as the teams meet for the 11th time in 10 seasons Wednesday. The Eagles took last year's game 1-0 in Smithfield.
The lone Bryant win against Boston College came in 2011, as Aubrey Mable and Lauren McCart collected three hits apiece to back up the performance of Samantha Houseal in the circle in a 6-3 road victory.
The Bulldogs hold a 5-1 advantage in the all-time series with the Crusaders and are squaring off Thursday for just the second time in the last seven seasons.
Bryant won the most recent meeting between the teams, 6-5, in Worcester in 2016. Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) drove home Liana Ogata on an RBI single in the top of the seventh for the game-winning run.
Bulldogs Notes and Notables
- Bryant enters the week 12-29 on the year following a pair of losses in an NEC doubleheader against Mount St. Mary's Saturday.
- Goulart went 4-for-8 in the Saturday doubleheader with a home run, while senior Robyn Ukegawa (Carlsbad, Calif.) drove in a pair of runs in the second game.
- Senior Logan Paul (Shaker Heights, Ohio) allowed one unearned run over 5 1/3 innings of relief in the first game of the day Saturday.
- The Bulldogs utilized 19 of the 25 players on the roster in the second game Saturday.
- Freshman Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) has led the Black and Gold on the year with a .347 batting average, while senior Gianna Pizzano (Saugus, Mass.) has hit .306 this season and enters Wednesday on a six-game hitting streak.
- Goulart, senior Rachel Monroe (Southwick, Mass.) and junior Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) are tied for the team lead in RBIs with 19.
- Gradillas' four home runs lead the Bulldogs, while four other Bryant players – Goulart, Monroe, Pizzano and freshman Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.) – have hit three each.
- Sophomore Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) is a team-best 9-of-11 (82.8%) on the base paths, including three games of two steals this season.
- Sophomore Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) (13) and freshman Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) (13) have combined to start 26 of Bryant's 41 games in the circle.
Scouting the Eagles
- Boston College is 26-21 on the year after a three-game sweep at the hands of Louisville on the road this weekend. The Eagles are 11-9 in the ACC this season.
- BC is 1-0 against the NEC this season with a 1-0 February victory over Central Connecticut.
- Annie Murphy leads the Eagles with a .384 batting average and 28 RBIs.
- Chloe Sharabba has hit a team-high six home runs and stolen 12 of 14 bases, while Lexi DeEmmanuele is 23-of-28 on the base paths this season.
- Jessica Dreswick has posted a 2.48 ERA in 39 appearances in the circle, while Allyson Frei has a 2.23 ERA in 31 appearances. The duo has combined to strike out 282 hitters in 319 2/3 innings.
- Boston College will face UMass Lowell Tuesday before facing Bryant Wednesday.
Scouting the Crusaders
- Holy Cross dropped to 11-30 and 4-11 in the Patriot League after the Crusaders swept in a three-game home series by Colgate over the weekend.
- The Cruasders are 1-0 against the NEC this season with a 2-0, nine-inning win over Central Connecticut in April.
- Jackie Brewster leads the Crusaders with a .357 batting average, 12 doubles and 17 RBIs.
- Mandy McCarty has hit three of Holy Cross' six home runs in 2018.
- Katy Watson (7-12, 3.79 ERA), Alexandra Held (4-10, 3.86 ERA) and Olivia Sloane (0-6, 5.41 ERA) have combined to start all but four of the Crusaders' first 41 games.
Bryant hosts Central Connecticut Sunday, May 6, in a doubleheader originally scheduled for April 15. The Bulldogs and Blue Devils will start the first game at 1 p.m.