MIAMI, FLA. – The Bryant University softball team fell in its first two season-opening games at the Felsberg Invitational in Miama, Fla. Sophomore Alexandra Hickey (St. John, Ind.) homered in game one despite a 10-2 decision to Memphis. The Bulldogs then fell to Connecticut in game two, 11-0.
Memphis 10, Bryant 2 (Gm 1)
UConn 11, Bryant 0 (Gm 2)
Location: Felsberg Field at the FIU Softball Stadium (Miami, Fla.)
W|L|S (Gm 1): Karli Perque (1-0) | Colby Norris (0-1)
W|L|S (Gm 2): Katie Koshes (1-0) | Sarah McKeveny (0-1)
COACH FRENCH'S COMMENTS
"I thought we played fast and kept up with the speed of our opponents," said head coach Nick French. "We made a couple of mistakes being on dirt for the first time and we paid dearly for them. Despite the scores, I saw a lot of really good things."
KEY MOMENT (GM1)
- The second inning brought a lot of offense from Memphis as the Tigers ended the inning with five runs to secure the lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GM1)
- In the top of the second, Memphis had runners on first and second as the Tigers hit a double to left field to bring in the first two runs.
- The Tigers then loaded the bases and hit a ball down the left field line to drive in three more runs before the end of the inning.
- Memphis opened the fourth inning with a single and a stolen base to second. Delaney Smith then cracked the ball to shortstop to bring in run number five.
- In the final inning, Memphis put a runner in scoring position with one out before hitting a ground ball to first base that drove in a run. The Tigers then hit two back-to-back singles putting runners on first and second before hitting a double into the outfield driving home the last two runs.
- Bryant then put a runner on first as Hickey came up to bat notching the first homerun of the season to bring in two runs for the Bulldogs.
- Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.), Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.), and Hickey all recorded hits to kick start the season.
- Senior Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) started the season for the Bulldogs pitching 2.0 innings.
- Freshman Jocelyn Bodington (Cumberland, R.I.) made her collegiate debut pitching 4.0 innings and striking out two batters.
KEY MOMENT (GM2)
- Connecticut started its season by scoring its first run with a single up the middle to take the initial and only lead of the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GM2)
- UConn started the game with two on and nobody out before singling up the middle bringing in the first run of the game.
- Connecticut would go on to score three more runs closing out the top of the first, 4-0.
- The Huskies scored three more in the top of the third starting with a double to center field and a passed ball that brought runners home.
- UConn continued to widen the gap scoring four runs in the top of the fifth to make the score, 11-0.
- Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) struck out four batters in her season debut pitching 4.0 innings.
- Bell, Hickey, Helaina Michaud (Phoenixville, Pa.), Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) and Sabrina Crane (Newtown, Pa.) all recorded hits for Bryant.
- The Huskies remain undefeated against the Black and Gold with the all-time series record at, 11-0.
- Hickey started the season the same way she started her collegiate career last season by hitting a home run in the opening game.
The Bulldogs get a second chance against Connecticut as Bryant will meet with the Huskies tomorrow at 10 a.m. followed by a 12:15 p.m. meeting with Michigan State.