MIAMI, FLA. – After several rain delays, the Bryant University softball team dropped both games today to Connecticut and Michigan State.
UConn 3, Bryant 0
Michigan State 3, Bryant 0
Location: Felsberg Field at the FIU Softball Stadium (Miami, Fla.)
W|L|S (Gm 1): Olson (1-0) | Gabrielle Ermish (0-1)
W|L|S (Gm 2): Walker (1-0)
COACH FRENCH'S COMMENTS
"Overall today was a lot better than yesterday, and Gabi and Sarah pitched really well," said head coach Nick French. "The rain delay hurt our momentum a little in the first game but overall for nine hours at the ballpark, I thought we played with a lot of passion and energy right to the end."
KEY MOMENT (GM1)
- After the first rain delay, UConn put runners on first and third before hitting a double that brought in two runs that gave the Huskies the only lead they needed.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GM1)
- Bryant did not allow Connecticut to get a hit for the first three innings before the clouds opened up and both teams evacuated the field for a rain delay.
- After the delay, the Huskies started finding gaps in the field to get on base. UConn first got on base with a single stealing second and advancing to third. With runners on first and third, Kern hit a double to bring in two runs.
- The Huskies put a runner on third after a ground ball advanced Kern to third base. McDaniel hit a ball into the outfield for a single bringing Kern home for the final run of the game.
- Junior Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) pitched all seven innings striking out two batters allowing just five hits.
- Bell went 2-3 at the plate. Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) was the only other Bulldog to tally a hit as Gradillas batted 1-3
KEY MOMENT (GM2)
- A double to left field brought in a runner for Michigan State in the bottom of the third. The run gave the Spartans the only offense that they would need.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GM2)
- To start the bottom of the third, Michigan State reached first base before stealing second. The Spartans then hit a double to left field bringing in the first run of the game.
- With runners on second and third and one out, the Spartans singled up the middle to bring both runners home.
- The game was called after the top of the fifth due to rain.
- Bell provided the only hit for the Bulldogs batting 1-2.
- McKeveny pitched all four innings before the rain started coming down. McKeveny struck out six batters, allowed four hits, and walked three.
- Bryant falls to 0-12 against UConn all-time and 0-1 to Michigan State.
- McKeveny tied her career-best with six strikeouts. The last time McKeveny recorded six strikeouts was last season at Robert Morris.
The Bulldogs close out the Felsberg Invitational tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. as the play host Florida International.