MIAMI, FLA. – The Bryant University softball team started to rally back in the seventh inning, but the Florida International defense was too much as the Panther topped the Bulldogs, 5-2.
Florida International 5, Bryant 2
Location: Felsberg Field (Miami, Fla.)
W|L|S: Muraskin (1-0) | Colby Norris (0-2)
COACH FRENCH'S COMMENTS
"It was a great experience with a combined effort from the pitching staff to keep us in the game and the bats started to wake up a little towards the end," said head coach Nick French. "Overall we got better each day as the weekend went on and it was a good learning experience to see what we need to fix going forward."
- The third inning brought plenty of offense for FIU as the Panthers scored three runs to take the four-run lead that Bryant was unable to recover from.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- To start the bottom of the second inning, FIU hit a solo homerun over the centerfield fence for the first run of the game.
- In the bottom of the third with a runner on first, the Panthers singled and advanced runners on the throw to put runners in scoring position. The next FIU batter then reached on an error bringing two Panthers home, 3-0.
- Immediately after, FIU smacked a double down the left field line for an unearned run before ending the inning, 4-0.
- In the bottom of the fourth, FIU stole second before singling through the right side bringing in its final run.
- Bryant tried rallying back in the seventh inning as Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) notched a single and stole second on the next play. Kolby Deziel (Pasadena, Calif.) then grounded out to the pitcher moving Powell to third.
- Sabrina Crane (Newtown, Pa.) walked to first base and Bryant had runners on first and third with two outs. Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.) moved runners with a single to the shortstop bringing Powell home for Camarillo's first career RBI.
- Junior Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) found the gap in left field for a single bringing home Crane. Camarillo tried for a run but was deemed out at home with a put out from left field.
- Colby Norris (Toano, Va.), Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) and Jocelyn Bodington (Cumberland, R.I.) each pitched two innings tallying one strikeout apiece.
- Alexandra Hickey (St. John, Ind.), Mariana Politis (Arcadia, Calif.), Bell and Powell all notched one hit. Bell tallied one RBI.
- Camarillo led with two hits on the day, batting 2-3 with an RBI.
- Bulldogs fall to 0-2 against FIU all-time.
- Camarillo's RBI is the first of her career.
Bryant returns to action on Friday, February 22 as the Bulldogs take on Belmont at 10:30 a.m. in the Georgia Classic.