ATHENS, GA. – The Bryant University softball team fell to both Belmont and Georgia in day one of the Georgia Classic. The Bulldogs took the Bruins into extra innings but were outlasted, 3-2. The Black and Gold then played a tough game against host No. 9 Georgia but gave up two homeruns to the SEC's leader in homeruns per game for an 8-0 decision to close out the day.
Belmont 3, Bryant 2 (Gm 1)
No. 9 Georgia, Bryant (Gm 2)
Location: Jack Turner Stadium (Athens, Ga.)
W L|S (Gm 1): Brooklin Lee (W, 3-0) | Colby Norris (L, 0-2)
W|L|S (Gm 2): Mary Wilson Avant (W, 3-1) | Sarah McKeveny (L, 0-2) | Lauren Mathis (Sv, 1) |
COACH FRENCH COMMENTS
"It was a good day and we got a lot better," said head coach Nick French. "We did a great job in the first game battling back and overcoming a poorly timed rain delay, but we just couldn't get that last out. In the second game, we played one of the best teams in the county really tough into the fifth inning before we ran out of gas a little bit, but it shows what we are capable of. Sarah pitched really well and had one of the best offenses in the country off balance for a lot of the game."
KEY MOMENT (GM 1)
- After Bryant took the lead in extra innings, Belmont put runners on first and second before hitting a single to bring home the tying run. The Bruins the hit a walk-off double to end the game, 3-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GM 1)
- The Bruins plated the first run in the bottom of the third. Belmon hit a sacrifice bunt followed by a sac fly to move the runner around the bases, 1-0.
- The Bulldogs had the bases loaded with just one out in the top of the fifth before the skies opened up and the two teams exited the field for a 52-minute rain delay. After the delay, the Bulldogs were unable to bring runners home as the next two batters struck out and grounded out to end the inning.
- With Jane Owens (Scituate, R.I.) on first and two outs in the top of the sixth, Gianna Ceccarelli (Claremont, Calif.) advanced to second on a fielding error bringing Owens home to tie the game, 1-1.
- Freshman Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.) singled to left field and then stole second on a wild pitch. Alexandra Hickey (St. John, Ind.) then doubled down the left field line to bring Camarillo home, 2-1.
- Chelsea Thomas hit a two-out single in the bottom of the eighth to bring in the tying run for Belmont, 2-2.
- The Bruins then hit a walk-off double to score the winning run, 3-2.
STATS (GM 1)
- Camarillo led the Bulldogs with two hits and a run.
- Jessican Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.), Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.), Ceccarelli and Hickey also notched a hit in game one. Hickey also produced one run.
- Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) started in the circle pitching the first 3.2 innings for the Black and Gold striking out two Belmont batters and giving up five hits.
- Junior Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) relieved Norris for the final 4.0 innings compiling one strikeout, one walk, and two hits.
KEY MOMENT (GM 2)
- Georgia's Alysen Febrey gave the Bulldogs all of the offense it needed in the bottom of the second. Febrey hit a solo homerun to give Georgia its first run of the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GM 2)
- Georgia notched the first hit of the game with a solo homerun over the left field fence in the second inning, 1-0.
- With runners in scoring position for Georgia and just one out, Justice Milz hit a ball right to Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) who was unable to throw Milz out at first. The error brought in two runs to extend Georgia's lead, 3-0.
- In the bottom of the fifth inning, Georgia hit a two-run homer to gain a five-run advantage before three more runners came home to end the game early.
STATS (GM 2)
- Camarillo had the only hit of the game for the Black and Gold going 1-2 at the plate.
- Georgia out-hit Bryant, 8-1.
- Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) allowed seven hits and walked two in 4.1 innings pitched.
- Bryant is now 0-1 all-time to both Belmont and Georgia.
The Bulldogs return tomorrow at 9 a.m. to take on UMass for game one before meeting with Belmont again at 4:30 for game two.