ATHENS, GA. – The Bryant University softball team was swept in day two at the Georgia Classic. Despite outhitting UMass in game one, the Bulldogs fell to the Minutewomen, 2-1. In game two, the Bulldogs fell to Belmont 5-1.
UMass 2, Bryant 1
Belmont 5, Bryant 1
Location: Jack Turner Stadium (Athens, Ga.)
W|L|S (Gm 1): Kenadee Rausch (W, 2-1) | Gabrielle Ermish (L, 0-2)
W|L|S (Gm 1): Alicia Veltri (W, 3-1) | Sarah McKeveny (L, 0-3)
COACH NICK FRENCH COMMENTS
"We battled right to the end of a very long day at the ballpark," said head coach Nick French. "We got a great effort pitching from Gabi in the first game and in both game we had runners on bsae but we couldn't come up with the big hit to score more runs."
KEY MOMENT (GM 1)
- After tying the game in the fourth inning, UMass hit a sac fly to bring in the winning run in the bottom of the sixth.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GM 1)
- Marianna Politis (Arcadia, Calif.) smacked the ball to UMass's third basemen forcing an error to reach the base. The error helped move the Bulldogs around the bases bringing Alexandra Hickey (St. John, Ind.) home for the first run of the game in the top of the first, 1-0.
- In the bottom of the fourth, UMass tied the game by hitting a double to left center bringing in an unearned run, 1-1.
- UMass loaded the bases before hitting a sac fly to bring in the winning run in the bottom of the sixth, 2-1.
- In an attempt to catch the Minutewomen, Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) singled to center field. Sabrina Crane (Newtown, Pa.) then hit a double to left center but Powell was thrown out at home.
- Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) moved Crane to third base after grounding out to the second basemen putting the Black and Gold in scoring position with two outs.
STATS (GM 1)
- Both Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) and Nicole Davis (Toms River, N.J.) went two for two at the plate.
- Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.) posted a stolen base.
- Crane was the only Bulldog to take multiple bases with a double.
- Powell also compiled one hit during three at bats.
- Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) struck out three batters in 5.2 innings pitched. Ermish did not walk a single batter giving up just three hits.
- Bryant outhit UMass, 6-4.
KEY MOMENT (GM 2)
- In the first inning, the Bruins had a runner in scoring position before hitting a single to left field to bring in the run. Belmont then hit a sac fly to left field to bring in the second run for the only offense that the Bruins needed.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GM 2)
- Belmont scored a pair of runs in the first inning to take the initial lead, 2-0.
- Davis was walked in the bottom of the third and was moved into scoring position before Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.) brought her home with a ground ball to third base, 2-1.
- A pair of hits loaded the bases for the Bruins in the top of the fifth. Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) walked the next batter to bring in the third run for Belmont.
- With runners on first and third and one out in the top of the sixth, Belmont grounded out to Camarillo for the fourth run. The Bruins then smacked the ball to center field, bringing in the final run.
STATS (GM 2)
- Bryant tallied four hits in game two from four different Bulldogs, including Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.), Bell, Powell, and Crane.
- McKeveny faced 33 batters while pitching six innings. The sophomore tallied one strikeout, six walks, and gave up eight hits.
- Camarillo posted the only RBI for the Black and Gold.
- The Bulldogs were outhit, 8-4.
Bryant closes out the Georgia Classic tomorrow at 9 a.m. with UMass.