SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University softball team travels to South Carolina to compete in the Charleston Invitational hosted by the College of Charleston.
Opponent: Rhode Island
Location: Patriots Point (Mt. Pleasant, S.C.)
Time: 10 a.m.
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast
- Friday and Saturday marks the first time in program history that the Bulldogs meet with both Marist and Youngstown State.
- Rhode Island holds the series record over Bryant, 3-1, having met last season for a single game in April. The Rams topped the Bulldogs, 2-1.
- In 2016, Bryant competed in the NC State Double Tree RDU Invitational where the Bulldogs split with NC State. The Bulldogs dropped the first meeting, 4-1, before beating the Wolfpack, 8-5, to close out the tournament.
- Bryant met with tournament host, College of Charleston, back in 2014 in Charleston. The Bulldogs split the series taking game one, 3-2, and then falling in game two, 2-1.
BULLDOGS NOTES AND NOTABLES
- Bryant enters the weekend 0-9 after competing in the Georgia Classic.
- Junior Nicole Davis (Toms River, N.J.) led the team at the Georgia Classic batting 2-4 with an OBP of .600.
- In the circle, junior Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) led the Bulldogs striking out four batters in 9.2 innings pitched giving up just five hits.
- Alexandra Hickey (St. John, Ind.) and Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.) each produced a run while in Georgia. Hickey leads the team with three total RBIs so far this season as Camarillo tallies two thus far.
SCOUTING THE FIELD
- Marist posts a 3-3 record losing its last three games at the TSU Winter Warm-Up Tournament in Nashville, Tenn.
- The Red Foxes are led by freshman pitcher, Calista Phippen who posts a 2-0 record in the circle. Calista leads the team with 13 strikeouts in 14.1 total innings pitched.
- The College of Charleston enters the weekend with a 9-9 record and coming off a single-game win over Charleston Southern, 8-0.
- Madi Brown has made 57 plate appearances tallying 23 hits with eight doubles and a homerun. Brown posts a slugging percentage of .596.
- Youngstown State has yet to win a game entering the weekend 0-7.
- The Wolfpack of NC State is currently 11-7 after dropping a 4-0 decision to Valparaiso ending its eight-game winning streak.
- Brigette Nordberg leads the ACC and is third in the country for homeruns with 11 posting a slugging percentage of 1.196. Nordberg also leads the ACC with 27 RBIs.
- Rhode Island is 2-8 so far this season losing its last six. The Rams won their first game of the season against Howard, 8-0, before topping Radford, 4-3, for its only other win of the season.
After the Charleston Invitational, the Bulldogs meet with Coastal Carolina for a two-game series beginning on Monday, March 11 at 4 p.m.