MT. PLEASANT, S.C. - The Bryant University softball team dropped both in day two of the Charleston Invitational. The Bulldogs first fell to Youngstown State, 2-0, followed by a 4-0 decision against NC State.
Youngstown St. 2, Bryant 0
NC State 4, Bryant 0
Location: Patriots Point (Mt. Pleasant, S.C.)
W|L|S: Addy Jarvis (W, 1-3) | Gabrielle Ermish (L, 0-4)
W|L|S: Devin Wallace (W, 6-5) | Colby Norris (L, 0-4)
COACH FRENCH'S COMMENTS
"We just couldn't get the bats going, but I loved our fight," said head coach Nick French. "We had the tying run at the plate in the last inning against an ACC team, which shows how tough we are to put away. On the day, we just couldn't break through on offenes today but we got two great pitching efforts and that will keep us in every game."
KEY MOMENT GM 1
- The Penguins scored the only run that they needed in the third inning with a sac fly to left field to bring in the runner.
HOW IT HAPPENED GM 1
- YSU's Yazmine Romero made her way around the bases off a throwing error to put her on third base. Romero made her way home on a sac fly to left field for the first run of the game in the top of the third.
- The Penguins opened up the sixth inning with a double to left field before advancing to third off a sacrifice bunt. Grace Cea made contact with the ball and sent it to the left side of the field to bring in the second run.
STATS GM 1
- Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) and Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) tallied the only two hits for the Black and Gold. Gradillas's collected two bases in her lone hit of the game.
- Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) struck out two batters in six innings giving up just one earned run.
- Youngstown St. outhit the Bulldogs, 9-2.
KEY MOMENT GM2
- NC State was quick on the bases to start the game compiling two stolen bases off the first batter. In an attempt to throw the runner out at third, the Bulldogs threw the ball away, signaling the runner to make her way home for the only offense that the Wolfpack needed.
HOW IT HAPPENED GM 2
- Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) walked the first batter of the game to put NC State's Sam Russ on base. After Russ stole second, she stole second and made her way home off a throwing error, 1-0.
- With a runner on first in the bottom of the fifth, NC State took advantage of the first pitch and sent it over the right field fence for a two-run homer, 3-0.
- Three consecutive base hits helped NC State bring in its last run in the sixth inning. The Wolfpack sent one right up the middle on a full count with two runners on to notch the fourth run, 4-0.
- Junior Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) led the Bulldogs with two base hits.
- Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.) and Powell each tallied hits in three plate appearances.
- Senior Jenna Cali (Franklinville, N.J.) made contact with the ball during her lone at bat.
- Norris pitched the entire game striking out six batters and giving up two walks, and three earned runs.
- Bryant compiled five hits in the outing.
- Bryant falls to 1-2 all-time against NC State.
- Cali's hit was her first of the season.
- Bell and Camarillo both lead the team after today with 10 hits so far on the season.
Bryant closes out the tournament tomorrow morning at 10 a.m. when the Bulldogs meet with in-state foe, Rhode Island.