MT. PLEASANT, S.C. – The Bryant University softball team fell to Rhode Island to close out the Charleston Invitational, 3-0, Sunday morning.
Rhode Island 3, Bryant 0
Location: Patriots Point (Mt. Pleasant, S.C.)
W|L|S: Becca Rogers (W, 4-2) | Sarah McKeveny (L, 1-5)
COACH FRENCH'S COMMENTS
"Tough day offensively but we got solid pitching and defense again, and had the tying run at the plate in the sixth," said head coach Nick French. "These kids fight to the end and we will keep grinding away until we break through."
- A base hit in the first inning brought in a run for Rhode Island, giving the Rams the only offense it needed.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Rhode Island placed a runner on third in the first inning. Erica Robles singled through the left side to bring in the first run, 1-0.
- In the bottom of the third, Allison Tomaino (Monmouth Beach, N.J.) threw out a runner at home to deny the Rams a run. With runners now on first and third, Robles hit another base hit to left field for the second run of the game, 2-0.
- The Rams used a bunt to advance runners to first and second before a passed ball gave Rhode Island another base. Rhode Island's Leah Krivitsky singled through the left side to advance runners and bringing in the final run, 3-0.
- In the top of the sixth, Gianna Ceccarelli (Claremont, Calif.) doubled down the left field line before Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) moved her to third with a base hit. Back-to-back strikeouts ended the inning, leaving Ceccarelli and Powell stranded on first and third.
- Freshman Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.) hit a lead-off double to start the game for her lone hit of the game.
- Ceccarelli went 1-for-2 at the plate with a double in the sixth inning.
- Jane Owens (Scituate, R.I.) and Powell each notched base hits.
- Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) struck out three in and gave up three walks in the first 3.1 innings.
- Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) relieved McKeveny in the circle and struck out two during 2.2 innings pitched.
- Bryant played a full game of errorless softball.
- The Bulldogs were outhit, 8-4.
- Ceccarelli's double was her first of the season.
- Bryant falls to 4-1 all-time against Rhode Island.
The Bulldogs are set to play Coastal Carolina for a two-game series starting tomorrow at 4 p.m.