CONWAY, S.C. – The Bryant University softball team dropped game one of the two-game series with Coastal Carolina, 5-1, on Monday.
Coastal Carolina 5, Bryant 1
Location: St. John Stadium (Conway, S.C.)
W|L|S: Ashley Guillette (W, 9-2) | Colby Norris (L, 0-5)
COACH FRENCH'S COMMENTS
"We battled hard again right to the end against a 20 win team," said head coach Nick French. "They had a little bit more timely hitting than we did, but for our sixth game in three days, I'm proud of our energy and fight."
- In the fourth inning, Coastal Carolina sent two over the fence for a pair of solo homeruns to build on its 1-0 lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Coastal Carolina led off the first inning with a pair of singles to put runners on base. Sydney Guess popped it up to left field for a sac fly to bring in the first run of the game, 1-0.
- The Chanticleers hit two solo home runs over the center field fence in the bottom of the fourth, 3-0.
- With runners on second and third, Alexis Alvino sent a 3-0 pitch down the left field line to bring in two runners for Coastal Carolina's last pair of runs, 5-0.
- Bryant had the bases loaded with two outs on three different occasions but were unable to capitalize off it. In the top of the fourth and fifth inning, the Bulldogs struck out looking to end the inning. Freshman Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.) was thrown out at home in the top of the sixth to deny Bryant a run.
- On a 3-2 pitch, Helaina Michaud (Phoenixville, Pa.) singled to third base and advanced to second on the throw. After Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) walked to first, Marianna Politis moved the runners to second and third with a sac fly to center field before Gianna Ceccarelli brought Michaud home with a single to center, 5-1.
- Ceccarelli led the Bulldogs with two hits batting two-of-four for the day with an RBI.
- Michaud notched a hit in her only at bat and scoring the lone run for Bryant.
- Sabrina Crane (Newtown, Pa.), Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.), Nicole Davis (Toms River, N.J.), and Camarillo all tallied base hits.
- Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) struck out four batters in 4.2 innings pitched.
- Freshman Jocelyn Bodington (Cumberland, R.I.) relieved Norris before the end of the fourth inning and tallied one strikeout without giving up a hit in 1.1 innings pitched.
- The Bulldogs outhit the Chanticleers, 7-6.
- Bryant played errorless softball for the entire game.
- Ceccarelli compiled her first RBI of the season.
- Michaud's run was her first run scored of the season.
Bryant goes back to Coastal Carolina tomorrow at 1 p.m. to close out the two-game series.