COLLEGE PARK, MD. – Drexel defeated the Bryant University softball team with a walk-off double, 3-2, on Saturday morning.
The Bulldogs were originally set to meet with UMBC, but the 2:30 match up has been canceled.
Drexel 3, Bryant 2
Location: Maryland Softball Stadium (College Park, Md.)
W|L|S: Brooklyn Daly (W) | Sarah McKeveny (L, 1-6)
COACH FRENCH'S COMMENTS
"I'm proud of the way we bounced back from yesterday," said head coach Nick French. "We were right there until the last pitch. It was a solid overall effort."
- In the bottom of the seventh, Drexel hit a walk-off double to center field to bring in the winning run, 3-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With runners on second and third, Drexel hit the ball to Tiffany Bell in center field who committed error, which helped the Dragons bring in the first two runs, 2-0.
- The Bulldogs capitalized on Drexel's mistakes in the third inning. Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) and Jane Owens (Scituate, R.I.) were on first and second before taking one more base during a wild pitch. Marianna Politis (Arcadia, Calif.) then smacked the ball to the third basemen, who committed an error while attempting to throw out the Bulldogs. Gradillas and Owens scampered home to tie the game, 2-2.
- The ball game came down to the bottom of the seventh when the Dragons sent the ball to centerfield for a double, bringing in the runner on first for the game winning run, 3-2.
- Nicole Zukowski (Medford, N.Y.) and Moran Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) both batted one-for-three for the day compiling the only two hits for the Black and Gold.
- Politis produced two runs.
- Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) pitched the entire game, striking out five batters, walking five, and giving up just five hits.
- The Dragons outhit the Bulldogs, 5-2.
- Politis tied her career-best in RBIs with two. The last time she produced two runs was at USF last season.
- The Bulldogs fall to 0-2 all-time against Drexel.
Bryant closes out the Maryland Invitational tomorrow at 10 a.m. against Saint Peter's.