COLLEGE PARK, MD. – The Bryant University softball team closed out the Maryland invitational with a win over Saint Peter's, 8-1, Sunday morning.
Bryant 8, Saint Peter's 1
Location: Maryland Softball Stadium (College Park, Md.)
W|L|S: Colby Norris (W, 1-6) | Sydney Senerchia (L)
COACH FRENCH'S COMMENTS
"Today was a great team win," said head coach Nick French. "After 13 games in nine days, it was great to see we still had energy and passion even after an early defecit. Every position player contributed and we got a great contributed and we got a great combined pitching effort. This is a good end to a long trip that gives us something to build on going forward."
- Senior Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) hit a two-run double to help the Bulldogs take the lead before Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) brought in the third run to end the inning, 3-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Peter's got on the board first in the third inning. The Peacocks filled the bases before lining out to Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) in left field to bring in their only run of the game, 1-0.
- Nicole Zukowski (Medford, N.Y.) hit a leadoff triple to start the bottom half of the fourth inning. Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.) joined Zukowski on the bases after being hit by a pitch to put runners on first and third. Goulart then doubled to left center to bring in Bilodeau and Zukowski before Bell smacked the ball to the shortstop to bring in Goulart, 3-1.
- Bryant rallied in the sixth inning to score five more runs. The Bulldogs put runners on first and third before Allison Tomaino (Monmouth Beach, N.J.) took off down the third baseline to steal home, 4-1.
- Immediately following, Goulart continued to bring in runs by sending a two-run bomb over the centerfield fence, 6-1.
- Zukowski continued the rally in the sixth inning by notching a base hit to right field to bring in Jenna Cali (Franklinville, N.J.) and Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.), 8-1.
- Goulart led the Bulldogs today batting two-for-three, producing four runs and scoring twice.
- Zukowski also tallied two hits today while batting two-of-four at the plate. The junior captain produced two runs and scored once.
- Bell also produced a run for Bryant's seventh RBI of the day.
- Gianna Ceccerelli and Powell each tallied one hit apiece.
- Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) started the game in the circle striking out one batter in three innings pitched.
- Senior Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) closed the game pitching the final four innings. Norris struck out five batters without giving up a walk.
- The Peacocks outhit the Bulldogs, 8-6.
- As a team, the Bulldogs produced a season-high seven RBIs.
- Goulart tied her career-best with four RBIs. The last time she produced that many runs was last season at Fairleigh Dickinson. Today also marks Goulart's first homerun of the season.
- Zukowski ties her career-high with two hits, including her first career triple.
- Bryant remains undefeated against Saint Peter's growing its season record to 2-0 all-time.
Bryant returns to Smithfield after the Maryland Invitational and will be back in action on March 23 in Stony Brook, N.Y. for the Stony Brook Invitational. The Bulldogs begin the tournament with the tournament host at 12:30 p.m.