STONY BROOK, N.Y. – The Bryant University softball team split in day one of the Stony Brook Invitational. The Bulldogs first fell to Stony Brook, 8-2, in game one before topping Fairfield, 7-2, in the final game of the day.
Stony Brook 8, Bryant 2
Bryant 7, Fairfield 2
Location: University Field (Stony Brook, N.Y.)
W|L|S: Shelbi Denham (W, 3-1) | Sarah McKeveny (L, 1-8)
W|L|S: Gabrielle Ermish (W, 1-7) | Kudlacik (L, 6-2)
COACH FRENCH'S COMMENTS
"It was a great effort to bounce back in game two and beat a really good team," said head coach Nick French. "We played fast, forced them to make some mistakes and were able to capitalize with runners in scoring position. As always, we got great pitching from Gabi and we were finally able to score some runs to support her."
KEY MOMENT GM1
- In the third inning, the Seawolves brought in the first three runs of the game with back-to-back hits to give Stony Brook the lead that they would not surrender.
HOW IT HAPPENED GM1
- With the bases loaded, Stony Brook singles to left field to bring in the first two runs of the game. The Seawolves follow it up with a double to the same spot for one more run before the end of the top of the third, 3-0.
- Stony Brook brought in one run in the fourth inning. The Seawolves stole second base before moving to third on a wild pitch. Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) threw the fourth ball to walk the batter as the pitch made its way past the Bulldog catcher to bring in the fourth run, 4-0.
- In the fifth inning, Stony Brook notched four more runs with just three base hits, 8-0.
- Bryant refused to finish the game early by putting runners on first and second in the bottom of the fifth. Sophomore Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) tallied a base hit to bring in Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.) before Nicole Zukowski (Medford, N.Y.) sent the ball to left field for one more run, 8-2.
- Gianna Ceccerelli (Claremont, Calif.), Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.), Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.), Powell and Zukowski all compiled one hit each.
- Camarillo and Bell were each brought in for a run, giving both Powell and Zukowski an RBI each.
- McKeveny started the first four innings in the circle for the Black and Gold, tallying a pair of strikeouts and walking four.
- Freshman Jocelyn Bodington (Cumberland, R.I.) appeared in the final three innings in the circle. Bodington struck out the final batter of the game while walking just one.
- The Bulldogs were outhit, 11-5.
KEY MOMENT GM2
- Bryant's fifth-inning rally gave the Bulldogs the edge to top Fairfield as the Black and Gold brought in five runs to re-gain the lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED GM2
- In the fourth inning, a pair of Bryant rookies brought in the first run of the game. With Camarillo on second base, freshman Carlyn Hernandez brought her in with a base hit to right field, 1-0.
- The Stags immediately responded in the bottom half of the inning by putting runners on second and third. Fairfield smacks the ball to left field to bring in both runners to take the lead, 2-1.
- The Bulldogs took full advantage of Fairfield's three errors in the fifth inning. Bryant filled the bases before Camarillo was hit by a pitch to bring in Goulart. Immediately following, Jenna Cali raced home after a pitch rolled past Fairfield's catcher, 4-2.
- Gradillas brought in the final run of the inning by finding the gap in center field, giving Camarillo the green light to run home, 5-2.
- Senior Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) continued the fifth-inning rally by sending a 1-2 pitch up the middle to bring in Allison Tomaino and Hernandez.
- Gradillas and Goulart led the Bulldogs with two hits apiece. Gradillas batted two-for-four, while Goulart went two-for-three in game two.
- Goulart also led with two RBIs.
- Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) pitched the entire seven innings striking out six batters and giving up only two earned runs.
- Both Fairfield and Bryant were even with eight hits each.
- Ermish's six strikeouts marks a season-high. The junior was one shy of tying her career-best. She also tallied her first win of the season.
- Hernandez notched her first RBI of her career.
- The Bulldogs defeated Fairfield for the first time in program history. Bryant is now 1-3 all-time against the Stags.
The Stony Brook Invitational resumes on Sunday, March 24 as the Bulldogs meet with Fairfield at 10:30 a.m.