STONY BROOK, N.Y. – In day two of the Stony Brook Invitational, the Bryant University softball team first topped Fairfield, 6-1, before falling to Stony Brook, 6-0.
Bryant 6, Fairfield 1
Stony Brook 6, Bryant 0
Location: University Field (Stony Brook, N.Y.)
W|L|S: Sarah McKeveny (W, 2-8) | Hughen (L, 3-4)
W|L|S: Melissa Rahrich (W, 4-5) | Colby Norris (L, 1-7)
COACH FRENCH'S COMMENTS
"It as a good start to the day," said head coach Nick French. "We were able to put a lot of pressure on them with our base running, and we were able to execute with runners in scoring position. We also got a fantastic pitching effort from Sarah. The break between games hurt our energy a little bit and we weren't able to get it back for game two, but fortunately from here on out, we won't have any gaps between games."
KEY MOMENT GM1
- A pair of sac flies in the first inning brought in the first two runs of the game to give the Bulldogs the only lead they needed.
HOW IT HAPPENED GM1
- The first three Bulldogs in the lineup loaded the bases to start the game. Senior Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) and freshman Carlyn Hernandez (Cypress, Calif.) each hit back-to-back sac flies to center field to bring in Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) and Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.), 2-0.
- After a 1-2-3 start to the third inning, Bell and Camarillo each notched singles before stealing second and third to get into scoring position. Junior captain Nicole Zukowski (Medford, N.Y.) then hit a sac fly to bring in Bell, before Goulart tallied a base hit to bring in Camarillo for her second RBI of the day, 4-0.
- Sophomore Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) showed off her speed by reaching first off a bunt and then stealing second. Senior Jenna Cali (Franklinville, N.J.) moved Powell to third with a single to left field before Bell smacked a single right to the pitcher to bring in Powell.
- The Bulldogs scored their final run when Cali raced home after Fairfied tossed a wild pitch, 6-0.
- The Stags got on the board in the sixth inning by hitting a solo home run over the left field fence, 6-1.
- Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) pitched all seven innings without giving up any walks. She finished the game surrendering just four hits and striking out one.
- Goulart batted one-for-two at the plate while leading the Bulldogs with two RBIs.
- Zukowski tallied a hit and produced a run in her only at bat.
- Bell batted two-for-two with one RBI.
- Hernandez produced one run.
- Cali was one-for-three at the plate.
KEY MOMENT GM2
- Stony Brook tallied the only run it needed in the first inning with a single to left field.
HOW IT HAPPENED GM2
- Stony Brook put runners on first and third before a single to left field brought in the first run of the game.
- The Seawolve's Nicole McCarvill led off the inning with a solo home, 2-0.
- In the bottom of the fifth inning, Stony Brook hit a double to put runners on second and third. The Seawolves then notched another double to bring in two more runs, 4-0.
- Before closing out the sixth inning, the Seawolves had runners on first and second and hit another double to bring in the final two runs, 6-0.
- Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) pitched in the first four innings compiling three strikeouts, two walks, and seven hits.
- Junior Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) closed out the final two innings in the circle, tossing one strikeout, one walk, and four hits.
- Zukowski went one-for-three at the plate.
- Hernandez tallied two doubles accounting for two-of Bryant's three hits in game two.
- Hernandez hit her first double of her collegiate career in game two.
- McKeveny didn't walk a single batter during game one, marking the first game in her career without throwing a walk.
- Goulart now leads the Black and Gold with 10 RBIs so far this season.
The Bulldogs take the short trip to Providence College on Tuesday, March 26 at 3 p.m.