SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Senior Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) helped the Bryant University softball team to a Northeast Conference sweep against Fairleigh Dickinson Saturday afternoon. Goulart hit a walk-off home run in game one to help the Bulldogs win, 4-3. The Black and Gold took game two, 5-2, to advance to a 7-1 conference record.
Bryant 4, Fairleigh Dickinson 3
Bryant 5, Fairleigh Dickinson 2
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Sarah McKeveny (W, 4-10) | Julia England (L, 3-5)
W|L|S: Gabrielle Ermish (W, 5-8) | Erica Johnson (L, 3-10)
COACH FRENCH'S COMMENTS
"It's great to get a sweep, especially when we didn't play our best early in the first game, but the fight in this team has been the hallmark all year. They don't quit and they've stayed in games all year long," said head coach Nick French. "We were able to stay in it long enough and Kaleigh was able to come through with a big shot at the end, which really gave us a lot of momentum. Gabi threw well and in the second game shut them down the whole time. It was a total team effort all around. We were able to use our speed, hit for power and hit some balls out of the park, and we did what we had to do to scratch out two wins and keep us home in conference play."
KEY MOMENT GM1
- The Bulldogs cut into the three-run deficit in the bottom of the sixth after Jess Gradillas was hit by a pitch with bases loaded. Freshman Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.) tied the game with an RBI-single to the center field gap.
- Goulart sent a 3-2 pitch over the center field fence in the bottom of the seventh with two outs for a walk-off solo homer to end the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED GM1
- In the top of the second, Fairleigh Dickinson took advantage of an error made by Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) in the circle. Norris overthrew the ball at first base giving the Knights the green light at third base to run home, 1-0.
- The Knights scored again in the next inning after putting a runner in scoring position. Reanna Cervantes hit an RBI-single to center field to bring the runner home for an unearned run.
- The Bulldogs committed back-to-back errors in the top half of the fifth inning, helping Fairleigh Dickinson score its third run. Rylie Schmeh reached first on an error and then stole second. During the steal, Jess Gradillas committed an error at third base sending Summer Mendoza straight home, 3-0.
- Bryant refused to give up in the bottom of the sixth. To lead off the inning, FDU walked the first three Bulldogs to fill the bases. Gradillas took one for the team and was hit by a pitch, bringing in the first run for the Black and Gold, 3-1.
- With the bases still loaded, Camarillo tied the game by bringing in Allison Tomaino (Monmouth Beach, N.J.) and Goulart with a single to the center field gap, 3-3.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) and Morgan Powell (Murietta, Calif.) led off the inning with two consecutive fly outs to the center fielder. Goulart came in clutch with two outs and nobody on by launching a 3-2 pitch over the center field fence for a walk-off solo home run to end the game, 4-3.
- Camarillo led the Bulldogs on the offensive end, batting two-for-three with two RBIs.
- Gradillas went one-for-two at the plate hitting a double and bringing in one run.
- Goulart was one-for-three with a home run, one RBI, and two runs scored.
- Powell was the only other Bulldog to notch a hit in game one, batting one-for-three and scoring one run.
- Senior Jenna Cali (Franklinville, N.J.) stole the lone base for the Black and Gold.
- Norris started the first three innings in the circle, giving up three hits and two runs before Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) closed out the final four innings, striking out five and walking one. McKeveny gave up one hit and one run.
- Bryant outhit the Knights, 5-4.
KEY MOMENT GM2
- The Bulldogs got all the offense that they needed in the bottom of the third with an RBI-double from Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) to take the lead. Alex Hickey followed it up with a solo home run in the very next inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED GM2
- Bryant got on the board first in the bottom of the third. Powell and Goulart were on second and third with two outs when Ermish smacked the ball up the middle for a double to take the lead, 2-0.
- Fairleigh Dickinson responded with an RBI-single to center field to cut the deficit in half, 2-1.
- Hickey hit a solo bomb over left center in the bottom of the fourth, 3-1.
- With Tomaino and Camarillo on first and second in the bottom of the sixth, Bell sent the ball to the left field fence for a triple that gave Bryant a four-run advantage, 5-1.
- In FDU's final attempt to even the score, the Knights hit a lead-off solo home run in the top of the seventh, but Ermish forced to flyouts and struck out the final batter swinging to end the game, 5-2.
- Bell led the Bulldogs at the plate going two-for-four with two RBIs, a triple and a stolen base.
- Both Ermish and Goulart were one-for-one in game two with one double each. Ermish produced two runs while Goulart scored once. Goulart led on the bases stealing two.
- Tomaino pinch-hit for Nicole Zukowski (Medford, N.Y.) in the sixth inning. The rookie compiled one double in her lone at-bat, as well as a stolen base and a run scored.
- Powell accumulated a stolen base, one run scored, and one base hit during four plate appearances.
- Hickey was one-for-three in game two with a homer that gave her one RBI and one run scored.
- Ermish pitched the entire seven innings, striking out three while not giving up a single walk.
- The Bulldogs outhit the Knights, 7-5.
- Goulart's homer was her third of the 2019 season and her first-ever walk-off.
- Tomaino's base hit was the first of her collegiate career.
- Hickey now posts two home runs this season, tying her home run record from last season.
- Bryant continues to lead the all-time series against FDU growing to 16-6.
Bryant's doubleheader at LIU Brooklyn on Sunday has been postponed to May 4. The Bulldogs will be back in action on Friday, April 19 at Mount St. Mary's.