EMMITSBURG, MD. – The Bryant University softball team dropped both in a Northeast Conference doubleheader with Mount St. Mary's. The Bulldogs fell, 4-3, in extra innings in game one before game two was called in the top of the fifth due to rain. Game two was ruled an official game and Mount St. Mary's took game two, 6-2.
Mount St. Mary's 4, Bryant 3
Mount St. Mary's 6, Bryant 2
Location: Meadows Field (Emmitsburg, Md.)
W|L|S: Amanda Berkley (W, 9-13) | Colby Norris (L, 2-8)
W|L|S: Amanda Berkley (W, 10-13) | Sarah McKeveny (L, 4-11)
KEY MOMENT GM1
- Mount tied the game in the bottom of the seventh when Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.) was credited an error, 2-2.
- After taking the lead in the top of the 10th inning, the Mountaineers scored the next two runs to win the game in the bottom half of the inning with two RBI-singles.
HOW IT HAPPENED GM1
- Both teams recorded three scoreless innings to start the game. In the top of the fourth, Bryant got on the board first. Junior Nicole Zukowski (Medford, N.Y.) singled through the left side and was replaced by Helaina Michaud (Phoenixville, Pa.) as the pinch runner. Michaud stole second before being brought home with an RBI-single to center field from Camarillo, 1-0.
- Fellow freshman, Carlyn Hernandez (Cypress, Calif.), immediately followed Camarillo with another RBI-single up the middle to bring in her rookie counterpart, 2-0.
- The Mount answered in the bottom half of the inning. Kaylee Stoner hit a leadoff double before moving into scoring position after a ground out to Jess Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.). Lindsay Heinze hit a sac fly to Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) to score Stoner, 2-1.
- Mount St. Mary's tied the game in the bottom of the seventh as a last-second plea to stay in the game. With the bases loaded, Camarillo was credited an error, sending the Mount down the third baseline, 2-2.
- Bryant took the lead back in the 10th inning when Hernandez moved Camarillo into scoring position with a sacrifice bunt. Bell reached first on a fielder's choice made by the second basemen in an attempt to throw out Camarillo at the plate, 3-2.
- The Mountaineers made a comeback in the bottom of the tenth, moving the runner on second to third with a sac bunt. Stoner found the gap in right field for an RBI-single to tie the game, 3-3.
- With Stoner on second base, Morgan Alisauckas singled to right center to bring in the winning run, 4-3.
- Hernandez led the Black and Gold on the offensive end batting two-for-three with a double and one RBI.
- Camarillo helped Bryant score all three runs. The rookie went one-for-four, producing one run and scoring twice.
- Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.), Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.), and Zukowski all went one-for-four at the plate.
- Bell tallied one RBI in five plate appearances.
- Goulart led with two stolen bases. Michaud and Bell both stole one base each.
- Ermish pitched the first five innings, compiling three strikeouts, one walk, and four hits.
- Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) relieved Ermish, tossing the next 4.2 innings, striking out two, walking one, and giving up six hits.
KEY MOMENT GM2
- The Mountaineers tallied all of the offense that it would need in the first two innings with a pair of RBI-singles and a fielding error.
HOW IT HAPPENED GM2
- The Mount got things going early in game two by hitting a single to center field for the first run of the game, 1-0.
- The next batter reached first on a fielding error, advancing runners one base and scoring the second run of the game, 2-0.
- In the bottom of the second, Stoner hit an RBI-single to grow the lead, 3-0.
- Bryant got on the board in the top of the third with runners on second and third. Jenna Cali (Franklinville, N.J.) sprinted home after a passed ball, 3-1.
- After the run, Ermish walked to first to put runners on first and third before Gradillas singled to left field to score Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.), 3-2.
- Mount St. Mary's hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the third, 6-2.
- In the top of the fifth, with two outs, the game was called due to rain.
- Gradillas was a perfect two-for-two with one RBI.
- Camarillo and Hernandez both went one-for-two in game two.
- Cali also went one-for-two scoring one run.
- Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) pitched in the first 2.1 innings accumulating two strikeouts.
- Norris relieved McKeveny tossing the next 1.2 innings. Norris struck out two.
- Mount St. Mary's is the only team in the NEC to sweep the Bulldogs in the 2019 season.
- Bryant drops to 9-11 all-time against the Mountaineers.
Bryant was originally set to play Central Connecticut on Saturday, April 20, but the game has been postponed to a later date due to projected rain. The Bulldogs will be back in action on Tuesday, April 23 when they host Brown at 5 p.m.