PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Bryant University softball team topped Brown, 6-1, Tuesday evening. The Bulldogs compiled nine hits during the Ocean State showdown to help improve to a 12-27 overall record.
Bryant 6, Brown 1
Location: Brown Softball Field (Providence, R.I.)
W|L|S: Gabrielle Ermish (W, 6-8) | Emily Walters (L, 4-10)
COACH FRENCH'S COMMENTS
"It was a good team win," said head coach Nick French. "We got a lot of contributions on offense from different people, and Gabi was really able to shut down their offense. I'm proud of the kids who came off the bench and were able to step up and put the game away with big hits."
- Bryant kicked things off early in the first inning with a lead-off double from freshman Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.). Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) brought Camarillo home followed by an RBI-single from Jess Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) to give the Bulldogs all the offense that they would need.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Camarillo immediately got the bats swinging with a lead-off double to get one base. After Camarillo stole third, Ermish brought Camarillo in with a ground ball to short, 1-0.
- With Goulart on second base, Gradillas hit an RBI-single to right field to give the Bulldogs a two-run advantage after the first inning.
- In the fifth inning, senior Jenna Cali (Franklinville, N.J.) sent a 2-2 pitch to right field for a triple before Camarillo hit a hard ball to the pitcher to bring Cali home, 3-0.
- Sophomore Morgan Powell (Murietta, Calif.) produced another run immediately after with an RBI-single to right center. Powell advanced to second on the throw while Camarillo came storming into home to take a four-run lead.
- The Bears got on board in the bottom of the fifth when Cat Steltz doubled to the left-center gap. Sarah Fringler brought Steltz home with a single to right center, 4-1.
- Bryant remained relentless in the sixth inning when Gradillas hit a lead-off double to kick off the top half of the inning. The Bulldogs made multiple substitutions after the double, entering Jane Owens (Scituate, R.I.) as a pinch runner for Gradillas and Gianna Ceccarelli (Claremont, Calif.) as the pinch hitter for Nicole Zukowski (Medford, N.Y.). Ceccarelli singled through the left side, sending Owens down the third base line for the run, 5-1.
- Sophomore Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.) pinch hit for Sabrina Crane (Newtown, Pa.) and sent a 1-0 pitch to left center for an RBI-double, 6-1.
- Camarillo led the Bulldogs at the plate batting two-for-three with one RBI, two runs scored, and one stolen base.
- Gradillas and Powell also went two-for-three at the plate producing one run apiece.
- Cali notched a triple in her only hit of the day. The senior also scored one run.
- Ermish pitched all seven innings without giving up a walk. The junior struck out six at the plate giving up five hits and one earned run.
- The Bulldogs outhit the Bears, 9-5.
- Cali leads the team with three triples on the season.
- Ermish was one strikeout shy of tying her career-high.
- The Bulldogs grow to a 6-4 all-time series lead over Brown.
Bryant hosts Sacred Heart on Sunday, April 28 for Senior Day. The Bulldogs will endure an NEC doubleheader at 12 and 2 p.m.