SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University softball team dropped game one to Sacred Heart, 12-5, on Senior Day. Game two has been suspended at 5-5 in the top of the eighth due to darkness and will resume at a later date.
Sacred Heart 12, Bryant 5
Bryant 5, Sacred Heart 5 – Game Suspended, T8
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Emily Orosco (W, 9-5) | Sarah McKeveny (L, 4-11)
COACH FRENCH'S COMMENTS
"I'm so proud of our seniors who had a great day and refused to give in at any point," said head coach Nick French. "Game one got away from us a little bit but we kept fighting and clawing back. Game two was the same thing. Every time they went ahead, we had an answer and it was our seniors who really led the charge on their day."
KEY MOMENT GM1
- Sacred Heart's seven runs in six hits in the top of the third pushed them over the edge and gave them the lead that they would maintain for the remainder of the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED GM 1
- Senior Kaleigh Goulart (Marion, Mass.) started off the day with a solo home run during her first at-bat to take the lead, 1-0, in the bottom of the first.
- Sacred Heart remained scoreless until the third inning when the Pioneers sent two straight hits into right field for a pair of runs. The Pioneers then hit a sac fly into center for the third run, 3-0.
- Sacred Heart's Caitlyn Kruger continued the rally with an RBI-double to right field for two more runs, followed by back-to-back hits to make the score, 7-1.
- The Pioneers scored three more runs in the fourth and sixth inning with a pair of home runs. In the fourth inning, Caitlyn Kruger hit a solo home run before Amy Petrovich slammed a two-run homer over right center, 10-1.
- Bryant refused to cut the game short in the bottom of the sixth. With the bases loaded, Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) sent a double into left field and cleared the bases to cut into the deficit and keep the Bulldogs alive, 10-4.
- In the seventh inning, Sacred Heart put runners in scoring position before sending them home with an RBI-single to left field. The Pioneers scored its final run with a double to center field to take a six-run lead, 12-4.
- The Bulldogs fought until the end. Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.) grounded out to the first basemen with the bases loaded to send Helaina Michaud (Phoenixville, Pa.) down the third base line for the final run of the game, 12-5.
- Goulart led on the offensive end with a pair of hits during three plate appearances. The senior compiled multiple bases during each at-bat with a home run and a double, including one RBI and one run scored.
- Bell produced three runs on one hit.
- Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) went one-for-two in game one with one walk.
- Sophomore Gianna Ceccarelli (Claremont, Calif.) compiled one hit in her lone at-bat and one run scored.
- Junior Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) pitched the first three innings retiring four, walking three, and giving up eight hits.
- Freshman Jocelyn Bodington (Cumberland, R.I.) relieved McKeveny of the last four innings. Bodington struck out one, walked one, and gave up six hits.
- The Bulldogs were outhit 14-6.
KEY MOMENT GM2
- Senior Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) hit a three-run bomb in the bottom of the fifth to give Bryant the lead, 5-4.
- Sacred Heart tied the game in the top of the sixth with an RBI-single to right field, 5-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED GM2
- Sacred Heart started game two with a leadoff single through the right side from Hailey Derosier. Derosier moved to second with a sacrifice bunt before moving into scoring position after a passed ball. She was brought home with a ground ball to Goulart at second base to take the lead, 1-0.
- In the bottom of the first, the Bulldogs responded by filling the bases. Sacred Heart's pitcher, Kristen McCann, walked freshman Carlyn Hernandez (Cypress, Calif.) to bring in the first run for the Black and Gold to tie the game, 1-1.
- With a runner on second in the top half of the second inning, Kaylee Harvey hit a hard ball to Goulart who was unable to make the play to first. The Pioneers took advantage of the error by bringing the runner home, 2-1.
- Both teams notched runs in the fourth inning. Sacred Heart hit an RBI-double with a runner on second, 3-1 before Jenna Cali (Franklinville, N.J.) hit a sac fly to center field to bring freshman Allison Tomaino (Monmouth Beach, N.J.) in from third base, 3-2.
- The scoring continued in the top of the fifth when the Pioneers hit an RBI-double to the centerfield fence, 4-2.
- Gradillas responded in the bottom half of the innings by hitting a three-run bomb to regain the advantage, 5-4.
- With runners on first and second, Sacred Heart tied the game with a base hit to right field, 5-5.
- The game remained tied after seven innings but was suspended before the beginning of the extra innings due to darkness.
Bryant returns to action on Wednesday, May 1 when they meet with Central Connecticut at 1 and 3 p.m. in New Britain, Conn.