SMITHFIELD, R.I. - Sacred Heart and the Bryant University softball team resumed game two of the Northeast Conference doubleheader late Tuesday afternoon after suspending it due to darkness on Saturday evening. The Bulldogs dropped game two in extra innings, 7-5.
Sacred Heart 7, Bryant 5
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Kristen McCann (W, 9-11) | Gabrielle Ermish (L, 5-9) | Emily Orosco (S, 2)
- Senior Jessica Gradillas (Nogales, Ariz.) hit a three-run bomb in the bottom of the fifth to give Bryant the lead, 5-4.
- Sacred Heart tied the game in the top of the sixth with an RBI-single to right field, 5-5.
- In the bottom of the ninth, Sacred Heart smacked a hardball at Carlyn Hernandez (Cypress, Calif.) at first base. Hernandez was unable to get control of the ball, sending the Pioneers home to win the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sacred Heart started game two with a leadoff single through the right side from Hailey Derosier. Derosier moved to second with a sacrifice bunt before moving into scoring position after a passed ball. She was brought home with a ground ball to Kaleigh Goulart (Marion Mass.) at second base to take the lead, 1-0.
- In the bottom of the first, the Bulldogs responded by filling the bases. Sacred Heart's pitcher, Kristen McCann, walked freshman Hernandez to bring in the first run for the Black and Gold to tie the game, 1-1.
- With a runner on second in the top half of the second inning, Kaylee Harvey hit a hard ball to Goulart who was unable to make the play to first. The Pioneers took advantage of the error by bringing the runner home, 2-1.
- Both teams notched runs in the fourth inning. Sacred Heart hit an RBI-double with a runner on second, 3-1 before Jenna Cali (Franklinville, N.J.) hit a sac fly to center field to bring freshman Allison Tomaino (Monmouth Beach, N.J.) in from third base, 3-2.
- The scoring continued in the top of the fifth when the Pioneers hit an RBI-double to the centerfield fence, 4-2.
- Gradillas responded in the bottom half of the innings by hitting a three-run bomb to regain the advantage, 5-4.
- With runners on first and second, Sacred Heart tied the game with a base hit to right field, 5-5.
- The game remained tied after seven innings but was suspended before the beginning of the extra innings due to darkness.
- When the teams returned on Tuesday evening, Sacred Heart brought in the game-winning runs in the top of the ninth. Runners were on second and third when a hard ball was hit to Hernandez at first base. Hernandez was unable to control the ball, sending the Pioneers storming home.
- Goulart went three-for-five in game two with one run scored.
- Gradillas was two-for-four bringing in three runs with a homer.
- Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.), Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.), Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.), and Hernandez each notched one hit for the Black and Gold.
- Ermish pitched the first four innings striking out three, walking two and giving up five hits.
- Colby Norris (Toano, Va.) relieved Ermish of the next five innings. Norris struck out three, walked four, and gave up eight hits.
- Sacred Heart outhit the Bulldogs, 13-9.
Bryant returns to action on Wednesday, May 1 when they meet with Central Connecticut at 1 and 3 p.m. in New Britain, Conn.