PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Bryant University men's and women's track & field teams opened their indoor season on Saturday in the Alden Invitational hosted by Brown in Providence. Brown, Hartford, and UMass Lowell also participated in Saturday's dual meet.
Sophomore Brian Murray (Westford, Mass.) set a school record in the men's 300 meter and several other members placed in the school top 10 all-time records.
COACH SWITZER'S COMMENTS
"I am pleased with how the team performed today," Bryant track & field head coach Mitchell Switzer said. "We have been training very hard this fall, and to see the performances we had is a very positive sign for good things to come. We'll now send them off for winter break to prepare for when the bulk of our indoor season takes place in January. When we return, we will have six weeks until championships so there is no time to let up."
TEAM RESULTS (MEN)
Bryant – 130
Hartford – 124
UMass Lowell – 242
Bryant – 75
Brown – 169
Bryant – 104
TEAM RESULTS (WOMEN)
Rhode Island – 260
Bryant – 74
Hartford – 164
Bryant – 104
UMass Lowell – 216
Bryant – 82
Brown – 257
Bryant – 86
TOP PERFORMERS (MEN)
- Murray's program record in the 300 meter, 35.73, saw him a second-place finish in the event on Saturday. The sophomore beat the program record by a half of a second.
- Junior Evan Smith's (Chester, Conn.) time of 7.10 in the 60 meter was second in program history. He was just three-hundredths of a second shy of qualifying for the New England Championships.
- Freshman Jacob Borgia (Westborough, Mass.) also entered the Bryant record book, clearing a height of 3.81 meters in the pole vault. Saturday marked Borgia's collegiate debut.
- Sophomore James Giumetti (Duxbury, Mass.) had the top team finish in the long jump with a distance of 5.92 meters.
- Freshman Anthony Holloway (Forked River, N.J.) finished second overall in the men's triple jump with a distance of 12.47 meters. Saturday also marked Holloway's collegiate debut.
TOP PERFORMERS (WOMEN)
- Sophomore Jacklyn Sullivan (Plymouth, Mass.) had a time of 43.76 in the 300 meter, one of Bryant's top marks in program history. Sullivan also had a top-10 mark in the mile, finishing in 5:12.67.
- Senior Melissa Lodge (Hopkinton, Mass.) also had a top 10 time in the mile, finishing ahead of Sullivan by .11 seconds (5:12.58). Lodge finished second in the mile at the Alden Invitational, one spot ahead of Sullivan.
- Freshman Courtney Kelleher (Wrentham, Mass.) had a distance of 11.54 meters in the shot put
- Junior Alexandra Watts (Clinton, Conn.) finished fourth in the pole vault, clearing a height of 3.2 meters.
- Sophomore Emily Cluck (Johnson City, N.Y.) finished with a personal record in the 60 meter with a time of 7.93. She was one-hundredth of a second shy of qualifying for the New England Championships.
- This is the fourth consecutive season that Bryant opened the indoor campaign with the Alden Invitational.
The Bulldogs will take over a month off for finals and holiday break. The team will next compete in the St. Thomas Aquinas Spartan Invite on Jan. 12, 2018 at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex in New York.